New to leopard geckos! Lighting/heating and general info questions

GpixL

Hi! I am new to geckos and trying to set up an enclosure for one. I have seen some debate on whether or not to have a light source and if to just use heat mats and want some input on what is best for the leo. Also opinion on live plants and any other information you can direct me to, to help me make better choices :) Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There is more than one way to do things. Here's how I do it: I have a lot of leopard gecko enclosures and don't use lights at all. There is ambient light in the room so they know when it's night and when it's day. There's nothing wrong with using a light, unless you have an albino gecko (sensitive eyes) and the light is pretty bright, or if you're using a light that produces a lot of heat and you also have a heat mat. That last situation can make the air very dry and hot which can dehydrate the gecko. Some people report that their gecko seems to like to bask under lights. That could very well be the case, although many of my geckos are out during the day "basking" with no lights. I hope this non-definitive response is somehow helpful!

Aliza

Visit our friends