New to snakes- a few questions

TigressSnow

I was suppose to be getting a hognose but then a bunch if crap happened.. And came home with an unplanned corn snake baby. I had sufficient research done from the hognose just had to check a few species specific things. He is around a foot and a little bit long, currently in a 10 gallon tank with heat cable, 3" of aspen bedding with a heavy bowl against the glass and a climbing decoration. I monitor the temperature with a heat gun. He is being fe frozen thawed pinkies and took his first meal at home like a champ the day after we got him. He's a very calm adventurous snake and is already a huge hit at home with family and friends. Were in love with him.
My questions are- he seems to be going into shed, knowing that they don't like being picked up I'm wondering if that is only when their eyes are in blue? Also, is every 5 days for the pinky correct? When should I expect a poop if he ate 2 nights ago? Thank you!

DrCarrotTail

Snakes are pretty easy keepers like geckos. They need fresh water available pretty much at all times and its good to wait a couple of days after they poo to feed them again but other than that there isn't much you can do wrong. If he's young he'll grow faster if you feed him every few days, if you want to feed him once every 10 days he'll grow a bit slower but he shouldn't get thin as long as he has a temperature gradient in his tank so he can regulate his own temperature. As for pooping, how long it takes depends on the size of the meal and his temperature. Since he can choose his temperature with a gradient it can vary by a few days. I would start to get concerned if he doesn't poop within a week after a reasonably sized meal. It's not uncommon for them to fast for a couple of weeks when they're in shed. Young snakes usually don't but my corn used to fast for several months in the winter. If you just weigh them and make sure they're not losing weight I wouldn't worry about eating habits - they know what they want. My first hog fasted for 9 months after I got him. He lost less than 10% of his body weight so I wasn't too worried but it was a bit concerning! haha

As for shed, I don't know that it matters too much. A snake that is really used to being held probably won't care much. A snake that is only held occasionally may be a bit more jumpy when he can't see. If you're worried it's probably best to leave him be from when you see his eyes cloud to when he sheds but I really don't think it will hurt him either way.

Congrats on your new pet!

TigressSnow

Thank you! If he at all seems jumpy when his eyes cloud I'll take note and leave him be. When they fast do they get aggressive at all? I would think they'd be hungry! What are stress signs? I forgot that in my original post. He's such a sweet little boy already, I don't know why I was always afraid to get one!

DrCarrotTail

When mine fast they just want to be left alone. They aren't hungry, which is why they're not eating, so they're calmer and less aggressive though. Not sure what stress signs would be for corns. My hogs start to hiss and display threats like puffing their necks out. I don't know that corns do that. Pretty much I'd just make sure you aren't handling him excessively (more than 20-30 minutes every day or two to start). They're pretty hardy and tolerant of everything though so I wouldn't worry too much.

Visit our friends