New to this but need your guy's thoughts on a situation.

JennicaC_7

I have a nearly one year old leopard gecko named Ivy, she is really healthy and active but recently we're thinking she broke her back right leg. She has been limping around with this problem only the last 2 hours and aren't sure what to do at the moment because we have no exotic animal vet anywhere near where we live. Any advice? 4FFEBE83-87C3-4E7D-A52F-1F72887BE5FA.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had leopard geckos with broken limbs and one once with a broken jaw. The broken limb gecko was a hatchling and it resolved on its own and the vet told me to let the broken jaw one heal by itself and that's what happened. In my opinion, it should be possible for a regular vet to treat a broken limb and they may want to splint it or have you just leave it alone.

Aliza

JennicaC_7

I have had leopard geckos with broken limbs and one once with a broken jaw. The broken limb gecko was a hatchling and it resolved on its own and the vet told me to let the broken jaw one heal by itself and that's what happened. In my opinion, it should be possible for a regular vet to treat a broken limb and they may want to splint it or have you just leave it alone.

Aliza
Thank you for the advice! I took her to the vet on Friday and we found out she has metabolic bone disease and the other back leg broke while we were there. She does have the original leg splinted and he has given us some high concentrated liquid calcium. It will be a long ride for her but we are doing everything we can and he said she can definitely make a long but good recovery from it.

Visit our friends