New to this, so I apologize

scissorrunner13

Hello, everyone! I apologize for being such a noob to this, but my husband has finally agreed to let me get a gecko. I’ve begun researching different types, along with temperament, ease of care, etc... This will be my very first pet gecko, or reptile in general for that matter- i just want to make sure that our new family member will be right for both us and it. I know i want a decent sized gecko, and one of the more gentle as well as easier to care for types. So far in my research, I'm leaning toward a leopard gecko as being the right fit for me. But, as I really don’t know anyone who is serious about gecko keeping, I thought I would reach out to people who know what they are talking about. Can anyone give me a little advice?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to the threshold of the world of geckos! A lot of this, as you can imagine, is personal preference. I would recommend either a crested gecko or a leopard gecko for reasons I'll briefly note below. I have seen quite a number of forum posts recently from people who got one of these geckos and are disappointed that they don't seem to want to be held. For that reason, I recommend you look into getting an adult or near adult that you can handle in advance and have some idea that they are tolerant. Your best bet would be to either attend a local reptile show and/or use the show webpage to contact breeders in your area and see if they have what you want. It would be helpful to know your location as well.
Briefly:
Leopard geckos are terrestrial so they can have a low enclosure. They don't jump around as much. However, they eat live feeders only, so if you're not into bugs and worms, this won't work. Also, they need belly heat.
Crested geckos are arboreal and need a tall enclosure (I have found by experience that an enclosure measuring 18"x18"x18" is probably the smallest appropriate size and 18x18x24 is better). They are a bit more jumpy. However, they can eat fruit nectar that you rehydrate and generally don't need supplemental heat.

I hope this is helpful.

Aliza

scissorrunner13

Welcome to the threshold of the world of geckos! A lot of this, as you can imagine, is personal preference. I would recommend either a crested gecko or a leopard gecko for reasons I'll briefly note below. I have seen quite a number of forum posts recently from people who got one of these geckos and are disappointed that they don't seem to want to be held. For that reason, I recommend you look into getting an adult or near adult that you can handle in advance and have some idea that they are tolerant. Your best bet would be to either attend a local reptile show and/or use the show webpage to contact breeders in your area and see if they have what you want. It would be helpful to know your location as well.
Briefly:
Leopard geckos are terrestrial so they can have a low enclosure. They don't jump around as much. However, they eat live feeders only, so if you're not into bugs and worms, this won't work. Also, they need belly heat.
Crested geckos are arboreal and need a tall enclosure (I have found by experience that an enclosure measuring 18"x18"x18" is probably the smallest appropriate size and 18x18x24 is better). They are a bit more jumpy. However, they can eat fruit nectar that you rehydrate and generally don't need supplemental heat.

I hope this is helpful.

Aliza
Thank you so much! That really does help a lot! And i live in North Carolina

indyana

Have to agree with Aliza's recommendations, as those two species are great for first reptile! I find if you think of them as cats that may not want to engage with you all the time, that's helpful. Very few reptiles are 'cuddly' in that they love being held all the time.

Only other note on crested geckos is that they can overheat, so if your entire house gets into high 80s or more during the summer, one would not be a good choice.

scissorrunner13

Have to agree with Aliza's recommendations, as those two species are great for first reptile! I find if you think of them as cats that may not want to engage with you all the time, that's helpful. Very few reptiles are 'cuddly' in that they love being held all the time.

Only other note on crested geckos is that they can overheat, so if your entire house gets into high 80s or more during the summer, one would not be a good choice.
Thanks so much for your advice! I believe we have decided on a leopard gecko, preferably a male, because idk how I would handle an ovulating female after some of the things I’ve heard about in research, at least for my first gecko, anyhow.... and while I do fully plan on handling my future family member, I do not expect it to be in any way cuddly lol.... Gods know I'm not particularly cuddly myself hahaha. I've read that the best time to handle leos is around dusk, since thats when they’re most active, but after dark in general is fine too... I just want to provide the best care, comfort, and love as possible while learning from my new friend! ❤️

Visit our friends