New U.Sikorae

scintillatingstar

Soooo, "i" have a new Sikorae! Jason got him for me, and i am very thankful.
I have some questions aand in order to not confuse everyone im going to list them
1. I have had my U.Sikorae, Hestia, for 2 months. Is there a possibility she could be living with parasites?
2. I had bought Hestia with another Sikorae, Archibald, and he died 6 days after purchase. Unknown, possibly choked, or parasites. Could he have given parasites to Hestia?
3. The new sikorae, Ludwig, was just purchased today. The only tank he can go into is currently housing a corn snake. If the cage is cleaned, will it be safe to put Ludwig in it?
4. Or, would it be ok to put Hestia and Ludwig together.
Thanks! I hope someone can figure this out!

Jill

scintillatingstar

Pictures, U.Sikorae

Well, these pictures you see Ludwig (brown and minty green), Hestia (brown and tanish) and Archibald (in picture with Hestia, Green and White). They are all piebalds, and i love them! Unfortunately Archibald is no longer. I hope you enjoy them.

MonteQ's

Congratulations!! I'm glad you found a new male! I wish you the best of luck with him. He's gorgeous!!

I'm not an expert on disease in reptiles by any means, but this is regurgitated from what I've read.

1. Yes, there is a possibility she could be living with parasites. It is not uncommon in wild caught specimens. Many imports can be exposed to sub optimal conditions, overcrowding...Some parasite loads can be perfectly manageable. Stress can make things much worse. It would be best to have a fecal(s) done on both animals. Most recommend 2-3 over a period of time because, not everything will show up every time.

2. "If" Archibald was infected, and they were housed together, there is a good chance that she could be infected.

3. If you can't purchase at least a temporary quarantine tank for the new arrival. I would clean the heck out of the old one. Be sure to rinse well, as the leaves and glass... will be their drinking glasses. Do you have a suitable alternative home for the snake?

4. It would be best to quarantine if at all possible. Especially since Hestia is doing well. Why take the risk if you don't have to. I personally would quarantine him for a while (month+) to be sure he's eating, get used to his habits, see if anything seems a miss. Also if there happens to be any bullying, you'll have an option available and ready. If they had previously been housed together, I personally might make an exception.

In the end though, its up to you. He may very well be a healthy animal. Use your best judgement. I hope this helps. Congratulations and good luck with the new one!

Visit our friends