Newbie...need help

RAbel1975

We have never had lizards or reptiles for pets. We just got a baby Crested Gecko about 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I just found....well, I don’t know what I found. I think it’s a problem with his front left “arm pit”. It looked like lint was stuck on him, so I tried to pull it off, but it is attached. Should we be concerned?
805E0C2D-8EE0-4027-A24B-D2C50079B3EA.jpeg DC5BE11C-B2B3-4D6D-82F7-7A28BE20B552.jpeg A885090D-E70A-49EF-99AC-67964758723E.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats on your new gecko. What you're seeing is a bit of shed leftover from the gecko's recent shed. Sometimes a bit of shed gets stuck. It's attached but it's supposed to come off. You could give the gecko another day or so to pull it off on its own, or you could pull it. You may need to put some force into it but you'll just be pulling the shed off. Be sure you're misting the enclosure every day (evening is best) so there is enough humidity to insure good shedding (sometimes even when the humidity is OK the gecko still leaves on a bit of shed). Feel free to post again with any other questions, not to mention more pictures of your cute gecko!

Aliza

RAbel1975

Thank you for your reply. I checked the terrarium and didn’t see any skin. maybe he’s starting to shed? I have the Exo Terra Monsoon that automatically mists. I had it set on twice daily, but I think the substrate was getting too wet, so I changed it to 8 seconds every 16 hours. I maintain the humidity at about 70%.
14D80B06-2E3C-4D45-99F8-04F9AF6B6E82.jpeg 59A90CA9-F362-4230-8562-0D796E5BDA48.jpeg B0CCA452-2F8D-4DB8-A640-0C80E1C7F205.jpeg

RAbel1975

:eek:o_O Mind. Blown. We had no idea they ate their own skin. Cool, in a creepy sort of way. Lol. It looks like that skin has come off. It really worried us. We were afraid that he got injured and his skin was damaged there. We’ve fallen in love with the little guy and would hate to see anything happen to him.

RAbel1975

Thank you. I’m sure that I’ll post more. All of the ground plants are live. The one on wall in the back is the only fake one. We really like the setup....pretty proud of it for our first lizard home

alphakenc

Ur welcome..and the roman empire wasn't just built in one day...take ur time n keep our eyes entertained with your style.

BecQ

We have never had lizards or reptiles for pets. We just got a baby Crested Gecko about 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I just found....well, I don’t know what I found. I think it’s a problem with his front left “arm pit”. It looked like lint was stuck on him, so I tried to pull it off, but it is attached. Should we be concerned?
View attachment 75013 View attachment 75014 View attachment 75015
Hi, we are also relatively new owners of geckos. Just so you know for next time, ours seem to shed roughly every 6 weeks or so, I don’t know if this slows down as they get older. You can usually tell they’re about to shed as they’re colouring goes dull or pale and their skin looks lose around the joints - they sometimes also make a papery sound when they walk. They eat their skin so you rarely even see it but it’s totally fascinating if you do. We have a spray called ‘shed aid’ and as soon as I see them looking pale I give them a wee spray and rub it in - it just helps. I also bought a wee spray bottle and filled it with water and just spray the vivarium in the evenings to maintain humidity.
Anyway, enjoy, we’re loving having geckos so far, they’re such friendly wee things!

Rubyeyes

View attachment 75013 View attachment 75014 View attachment 75015
Hi! I know you've already received responses to this, I just wanted to add something. Now I haven't been a crested caretaker- just a leopard gecko caretaker- but if the shed doesn't easily come off from the skin, you most likely should NOT use force. It should be pretty EASY! Just peel. Done. The only time I had to put in a little more effort was with the toes, but that was because of tiny little toe size and number of toes and their proximity. I have been advised by different veterinarians and enthusiasts that anything left over that doesn't easily come off should be left alone. Again, I've only had a leopard gecko, but just FYI. I also didn't know how easy it was to fall in love with these little creatures! Blown away. My girl passed and it has heart breaking. Enjoy!

Visit our friends