Newbie questions on Fatties

warhawk77

I am a newbie when it comes to fat tail geckos. Well to tell the truth I'm still learning on leopard geckos also.

I have been researching Leos a lot and I think I have a basic understanding of whats a good set up and how to care for them. But I have seen very little on fat tails other then they are very close to the same.

I hope you guys/gals can help me with some questions on them. All the questions are comparing Leopard geckos and fat tail geckos.

1. Is there a size difference between leos and fatties?
2. Feeding is pretty much the same right? Crickets, worms, dubia,... dusting and gut loading.
3. Are there as many colors and types?
4. There looks to be a lot fewer breeders anyone know why?
5. Can you house more then one together?
6. Is there temperament any different?
7. Do they like handling better?
8. A lot of the pics I see online makes the two look a lot a like so I'm wondering if some are Leos just mislabeled. Can you tell the difference by looks?

Thanks I'm sure I will have more as I keep reading.

KTyne

Kayla
1. Yes there is a size difference, Fatties are generally a bit smaller.
2. Yes feeding is the same except Fat tails can be super picky and a lot will only eat Crickets.
3. No, not even close. Fat-tail morphs are in the early stages of discovery so there aren't as many morphs.
4. Not as many people breed AFTs because they aren't as prolific as Leos and they have the reputation of being hard to breed.
5. It is not recommended to house Geckos together.
6. AFTs are generally a lot calmer and not as spazzy.
7. Geckos don't like handling, they tolerate it a lot better yes.
8. Yes you can tell the difference, AFTs are smaller, shorter legs and toes, shorter snout, big do eyes, their eyes are almost always all black, etc.

UnderDogReptiles

Hey welcome the best advice I could give is basically what everyone says which is choose animals you want to work with could be both could be leos or afts you gotta pick what you will be happy looking at everyday and feeding and cleaning and dealing with a possible mealworm or cricket allergy :D other then that it is an enjoyable hobby with great people and lots and lots to learn and read never going to know everything just enough to get by lol take care enjoy which either you choose

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
Fat Tails are amazing to work with. Most questions have already been answered, but I would add that they are a bit more shy than your typical Leopard Gecko. A bit more care needs to go into their setup to make sure they are happy, but once achieved they are every bit as easy to keep and maintain as a Leopard Gecko.

I don't know if Fat Tails will ever catch the variety Leopard Geckos have, but there are dozens of different Fat Tail morphs and as they are produced more and more their prices are continuing to drop making them more affordable for your average hobbyist, yet still attracting enough for your investment breeder.

Pick what you like. They are both awesome geckos to work with :)

Visit our friends