Newly rehomed gecko sleeping for over 24 hours

geckowiththeglock

Got a new leopard gecko yesterday afternoon, got him from a friend who wanted to give him away. He is over a year old, maybe two, and is currently being kept in a 60x40x30cm exoterra terrarium. I look forward to upgrading him to a bigger enclosure when I could afford it.

He has been fed a diet exclusively of mealworms, served in a bowl and left in his terrarium for a couple of days. I live in a tropical country so the ambient temperature of his enclosure ranges from 28-32 Celsius at day (82-90), and 27 (81) or so at night, depending on the spot and the exact time. I have the fan on and occasionally the a/c to lower the temps down. I will be getting him a very low wattage basking lamp so he could thermoregulate, aiming for a 34 (93) degrees basking spot. I will also be getting him a wider variety of feeders including dubias and black soldier fly larvae, but I will wait until his appetite comes back. I will also try tong feeding him instead of just leaving his food in a bowl. (Don't have the tongs yet)

He is also on aspen bedding, which will be switched out ASAP into a temporary paper towel substrate. Luckily so far he is not impacted, but I wouldn't risk it.

According to my friend who had him for about a year, she said that he has been a little inactive, and has been shedding a lot- like 5 times in a month, with a decreased appetite. However, his weight is fine, he even has a very chubby tail and is slightly overweight, no stuck shed, no discharge from eyes, nose, etc.

When I got him yesterday he almost immediately went into his favourite corner of the tank and slept. And he just slept. He has not eaten, he has not drank anything, he has not pooped, he had barely even opened his eyes for the past 24 hours. He simply shifts in his sleep. I tried to handle him, which admittedly was not a good idea as he must have been stressed- and he responded by chirping which I knew was a sign he did not like it. I let him be and he walked around a little bit, ignored the mealworms, and then went back to sleep. He doesnt even sleep in his hides, and he has 3 of them, one of it being a humid hide.

And that was it. I left him alone then, (aside from the occasional nose boops. too cute.) and still he remained asleep till now, which is nighttime of his second day. Even with the nose boops he just licks his face, then resumes his sleep.

I know it's normal for geckos to sleep a lot in daylight. I stay up pretty late, and I checked on him every 30 mins to see if he's moved, and no. No movement. Just sleep. Should I be worried about his health? Should I be worried at all? Or do I give him a longer adjusting period before deciding if this is worth a vet trip?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If no other real symptoms I'd just keep an eye on him. It sounds like you know what you're doing and what to look for. He'll probably be mostly active at dusk and dawn. Do you have any pics to share?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not unusual for a gecko in a new place (even if it's in its familiar cage) to hide a lot. It's possible that the gecko may have been awake in its hide when you weren't checking. Sometimes they don't settle in for up to a week or more. They can go for a lot longer than you'd think without food. Keep us posted.

Aliza

geckowiththeglock

It's not unusual for a gecko in a new place (even if it's in its familiar cage) to hide a lot. It's possible that the gecko may have been awake in its hide when you weren't checking. Sometimes they don't settle in for up to a week or more. They can go for a lot longer than you'd think without food. Keep us posted.

Aliza
It's been over a week and I did get him to eat about 19 mealworms his first week which was amazing. Then he stopped eating, shed his skin (perfect shed), and is now fasting again.... it's been 8 days since his last meal. He also pooped about 4-5 days after his last meal, is that normal?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's definitely within the normal range for these guys. Keep offering, see how he does and if you're still worried you could always make an appointment with a reptile vet.

Aliza

geckowiththeglock

Welcome to the forum. If no other real symptoms I'd just keep an eye on him. It sounds like you know what you're doing and what to look for. He'll probably be mostly active at dusk and dawn. Do you have any pics to share?

It's definitely within the normal range for these guys. Keep offering, see how he does and if you're still worried you could always make an appointment with a reptile vet.

Aliza
Thank you! I am offering his his bowl of mealworms every night. I got some dubia roaches too in case he wants to try something else, and also because I hate mealworms with all my heart and I will the happiest person if he converts to dubias.

Every night I spend 20 minutes just sticking my hand into his enclosure and he has started to willingly climb on which is a great sign he's trusting me :) I'll continue to keep an eye on him and if he doesn't eat in another week or two I'll set up an appointment with our local reptile vet.

Unfortunately he doesn't have UVB lighting yet, I have heard of people saying UVB is great for theur energy levels and appetite. I'm currently saving up for a good quality UVB linear bulb and a fixture that fits as it is surprisingly very expensive here.

Visit our friends