Not coming out of cold hide for over 24 hours

Shiidreams

My baby leopard gecko recently got a cage clean but it was really me just scrubbing off the calcium stains on the repti carpet.
Since they were in a hide with a bottom I just picked the hide up and quickly started work. It took maybe a minute.

Once I was done I carefully picked the hide back up and put it back in the enclosure. I did open the lid of the hide and they was alive.
Yesterday I left them alone but I would come in to check up on them maybe every 6 hours ( So about 2 and a half times ) They would be poking their little head out and just watch me before slowly pulling it back in.

I know they haven't come out because they would have pooed since the day before yesterday since they had a big meal of seven small mealworms.
I know how to get them out and about but it's stressful for them. ( Basically I attempt to pick them up but they always leap away into the rest of their enclosure.

Should I take the first method? ( They may end of screaming but they will usually always leave after that. )
Does anyone else have any ideas to entice them out?

I'm only worried because they haven't eaten or pooed in about a day and a half.
They were regularly eating and pooing before this happened.
EDIT: I got them out but they started waving their tail in the air so I left them alone but I did see them eat a mealworm.
I'm starting to think they just prefer the cold hide

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Make sure the hot side isn't too hot. You can check with a digital thermometer with a probe. If you're not using a thermostat, the hot side may be too hot. If you don't have that kind of thermometer, it's available as a "reptile thermometer" at pet stores for less than $10.

Aliza

Visit our friends