Not eating on her own

GargyCatastrophe

I just got my female Gargoyle about a week or so ago, she was 24g when I got her but has been slowly losing weight, currently down to 22g. I don't think shes eating on her own. I'm feeding her Repashy superfood CGD. She'll eat a little off my finger but dosen't seem to eat it on her own. Her temp stays around 75-78 and humidity 50 (with 80-100 in the afternoon). I tried crickets but she wont touch them..

Last edited:

Husker

I'm going through the same thing mine does not seem to be eating at least I don't see him eat, although he may during the night his Weight fluctuates between 15-17 grams 18 at his highest he's been holding at 16 g for the past week . So he must be eating some at night or you would think he would drop more than that. I've been weighing him every day for almost two weeks . I do the same as you I have them lick a bit off my finger and I have fruit paste supplement that I had gotten when I got my gecko I give them a light tap on the top of his head in front of his eyes and he pops his mouth open and I dab on Pea size bit of that Once a week or so. So at least I know he's getting something for sure. I'm no expert I'm new to geckos but this is just my experience. I read other posts that they will not let themselves starve and they're hungry enough they will eat but I know it's stressful when you don't see them eat and you're not sure if they're eating or not. Again I'm new to geckos but I would say keep keeping on eye on his weight, and hand feed him if he keeps dropping. You say it's only been a week that you've had him it could just be stress of moving to a new environment and doesn't want to eat yet, I have also read that you should give them a good two weeks settling in before you start handling them. Also read don't give in and give crickets until you're sure they are eating the regular powder mix food, because they can get hooked on crickets and not want to eat the regular food. Like I said this is all stuff I found from research on different forms. I see it's been a while since you posted this give update and let me know how he's doing.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Your gargs have you well trained! I have a crestie, a leachie and some gargs (I breed the gargs). I feed CGD three times a week and crickets twice a week. There are weeks where the food looks untouched, the adults as well as the juvies, yet everyone looks good and is growing. It's not unusual for a new reptile to stop eating in a new environment and even lose a bit of weight (when I got my leachie he was only 7 grams and seemed to stay in the 6-7 range for a really long time). Gargs are also very slow growing. You can keep hand feeding if you enjoy it, but you can also just keep offering and, unless you see drastic and visible weight loss, assume that they will eat when they're ready.

Aliza

Visit our friends