Ok starting to get a little worried....

D

DontShootMe

Ok I first bred my male hybino about 2 months ago. He yet has tried to eat anything and has lost a significant amount of wait roughly around 15 grams. His tail is starting to thin out and his stomach is getting smaller. I know when you breed them all they care about is breeding so they don't really eat. How long does this period last? I just hope he eats soon. He is extremely active trying to get out of his tub. What you guys suggest? Just wait it out?

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried smashing a mealworm, cricket, etc... and then smearing the guts on his mouth/nose? Normally they'll grab the prey item right from the tweezers when you do that. If that doesn't work, try a slurry. You can throw together a make-shift one with some turkey or meat flavored baby food, some water, prey item guts, calcium, and anything else that's safe and readily available. If you want to go all out, try Marcia's slurry, you can find it on Jeanne's site: www.usageckos.com (under the "tips & tricks").

What size tub do you keep him in? I really hate doing this, but when we have a really stubborn eater, as a last resort we'll put him/her in a 6 qt tub. I know I know, it's really small for an adult, but sometimes the really simple setup helps when everything is right in froot of them. Once he starts eating again, you can put him back in his bigger tub. We've done this with two females, and after a few days they started eating like pigs again.

Last edited:

KelliH

I agree with Ryan, seperate him out into a shoebox tub. You can try offering superworms from feeding tongs or perhaps a pinky mouse to fatten him back up.

D

DontShootMe

This guy seems to be a picky eater I tried giving him waxworms a while back as a treat and he ignored it which is pretty odd being that wax worms are like candy to them. He is in a 15qt tub now, if I put him in a smaller tub what can I put in there? I don't even think I can fit anything in there with him. Also how long do I keep him in there?

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Ive had males I had to seperate out too, then they do just fine. I put in a gladware hide a mealie dish and water dish (the small 3 for $1 ashtrays work well in confined spaces.)

D

DontShootMe

He throws the calcium all over his tub. Hopefully he will kick in soon with the eatting.

Visit our friends