Older Female Iguana for Adoption - So Cal

KMAVII

Hello :]

I have an older female iguana, named Iggy, up for adoption to anyone with enough experience and space to properly take care of such an exotic creature. I got her as a gift from my father when I was a little girl, after one of his coworkers asked if he wanted a baby iguana.

I have taken care of her to the best of my ability, and followed my mothers research about taking care of them as best I could. However, I simply came to realize as I got older that I just do not have the space, time, or resources to provide for this type of animal. As much as I love her, and as much as I wish I could provide what she needs; I can't.

She's lived in a 100gl long tank for the better half of her life - which isn't all that much space for an iguana. Unfortunately it is the best I can do. I cannot let her roam due to my mother and her strong aversion to 'nasty scaley creatures roaming her carpet'. Yet we don't have the money or space for a proper enclosure.

The lady in question is at least 11 years old[she was very itty bitty when I got her, no more than a couple months, if that]. I've fed her a diet of fresh fuits, veggies, leafy greens, and T-Rex brand adult iguana pellets[I alternate between the two flavors]. She LOVES bananas.

When she was about two years old, I had her sitting in my lap. I brushed my hand on my pants while watching TV because the back of my hand itched, and the poor girl's tail ended up getting in the way and the end was torn off. My father and I looked at it immediately and made sure it was clean, and kept her extremely clean after to try and prevent virus/bacteria from growing. Her tail never properly grew back. The end is kinked in a few places, and the end is blackish and slightly bulbous. It has NOT grown up the tail or gotten worse. Images will be provided.

She has a bit of an ornery personality, and she'll let you know if she's annoyed with you by giving you one of her "looks". She's extremely curious and loves to roam around when possible. She used to like to hide in clothes piles as a baby when I had her out and she would scramble away. When she's not being ornery or having slight attitude, she's very curious and calm, and loves to watch the going's on from the back of the couch or anyplace up high. She'll go nuts for banana slices or bits of orange slices. She really can be quite charming when she's relaxed and familiar with her surroundings. Iggy has never bitten anyone intentionally(only as an accident when finger feeding her banana slices), and she has never displayed aggression or tail raising towards me or my family. She is also trained to use the tub as a toilet. She will not poop or pee on her cage carpet unless she's been neglected somehow such as on extended trips with no one stopping in to let her into a bathtub with warm water.

More or less, I love this girl and she has such a personality. I feel so bad that I cannot give her the time, attention and space she deserves to have. I've been looking for someone who'd be interested but all of the local shelters are closed or have refused to take her in. No one has responded locally to my ads. So I was directed here by one of my herp loving friends to try my luck. I'd love if someone could take her, and rehab her to be used to a proper enclosure/roaming space, and/or to be around other iguanas. The 100 gal long tank is welcome to the adopter if they so choose, as well as the solid wood stand that it sits on; as well as a pair of thick leather handling gloves[those toes are sharp!]

Images will be up asap. I'm willing to transport her up to 2 hours away from my home if the adopter only wants her. I will go farther, if the adopter is willing to pay for some gas fees(I have meager income, which is one reason I want her to have a proper home). If they'd like the cage and stand as well, I ask if they'd be willing to come to my place and pick it up themselves; I have no means with which to haul something of that size. I reside in So Cal, in San Bernardino county.

I'd really like her to have a good home. I love her, and she has such a lovely personality. She deserves better than what I can provide. I don't want to release her, or keep her and have her suffer or die from being constrained. All I ask is that someone who has experience with large reptiles, and the space/money to care for her give her a really good home.

Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions, or want any other information that I somehow missed here.

Thanks for reading, I REALLY appreciate it! Images will be up soon, stay tuned!

~Kay

Last edited:

KMAVII

I am sorry for "necro"ing this thread after not having updated in such a long time. As the rules permit I am allowed one "bump" post...

I have contacted the suggested group above. They NEVER got back to me, called me or emailed me. No local shelters are taking any reptiles at all. :( I am STILL looking for a home for this girl.

I really can't give her the time, space, and care she needs and it makes me so upset I can't give her that. I've been trying and trying to find her a new home. PLEASE contact me if you or anybody you know may be interested. Even if you're out of state and willing to come get her, I just want her to have a good home. I've posted other adoption ads on various places throughout the internet and locally in newspapers and bilboards. There's been nothing...so if you know anybody who may be interested in rescuing and caring for an older iguana please get in touch with me :( She really is quite charming and bursting with personality once you get to know her

KMAVII

Home has been found for her where she has all the space she could want and an amazing caretaker!

Visit our friends