Ongoing problem. (bulging belly)

Valpatal

I posted on here at the end of March about my Leo Tandy being diagnosed with first follicular stasis and then impaction. https://www.geckoforums.net/threads/need-follicular-stasis-advice.108978/ All of her husbandry is the same except for increasing her warm side temps to 85-93* per vet’s recommendation. Quick summary...not eating, lethargic, sleepy looking all the time and round belly. Vet #1 could only get 1 X-ray (top view) and a poor quality ultrasound and diagnosed follicular stasis - gave metacam and antibiotic along with referral to reptile surgical vet. That vet, #2 got better x rays and said no sign of follicles or eggs and diagnosed impaction. He gave an enema and dose of lactulose. Nothing happened so vet #1 (having received report from vet #2) gave lactulose and cisapride for me to give. I gave, along with some warm baths and gentle belly massages and we had good formed poos. By the 3rd dose, got more poo but was runny, so I stopped giving. She was back to normal - eating, alert and active. That lasted all of about 2+ weeks. Now we’re right back where we started and I just don’t know what to do. I gave a dose each of the laxatives, did another warm soak with gentle belly massage and all she passed was a small white urate. Expecting another vet visit will run at least $200, as each of the previous ones did, I can’t afford to take her until the end of the week. Throughout all of this, it seems her belly has a small bulging on her left side and she tends to curl up a little to the left. There is nothing palpable or visible there. Attaching a photo of her belly from when this all started. It looks exactly the same now as it did then so not going to disturb the poor girl for another pic. You can see how her left side looks larger than her right.
So, has anyone ever run into or heard about a similar issue? Could she have some sort of tumor? Any ideas of what this may be? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
B957E0A3-700B-49E3-A3F3-28E15F9D77F6.jpeg 976ACAD8-DE6B-4343-B8D7-87204EC93245.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't really know. There have been some geckos that had tumors. I had a gecko with a hernia once but the bulge was much greater. There was really nothing to be done and she lived normally for about 3 years after that. It is breeding season and some females are just "off" for that whole period.

Aliza

Valpatal

I don't really know. There have been some geckos that had tumors. I had a gecko with a hernia once but the bulge was much greater. There was really nothing to be done and she lived normally for about 3 years after that. It is breeding season and some females are just "off" for that whole period.

Aliza
I’m new to leopard geckos (and all reptiles) and while I’ve tried to learn all that I can about them, I’m not clear on what is ‘normal’ during their mating season. Do the females generally display the things that I’m concerned about, such as not eating anything, lethargy and looking sleepy? Do they plump out? When I hold Tandy or put her down on my desk or bed, she gets pretty active and wanders around exploring. I also have a male (housed separately) and he’s just the opposite of her...increased appetite, more active and alert. I guess my bottom line question is should I wait and see or take her back to a vet?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The most common ovulating leopard gecko behavior is not eating. My leopard geckos display a range of behavior traits from quite active to very lazy. If the gecko doesn't seem to be losing weight (tail getting a lot smaller) and doesn't seem to be in pain (hunched look with back arched up) it probably makes sense to just keep offering food, use whatever non-stressful treatments you have available just in case that helps and watch for signs that things are getting worse (weight loss and obvious discomfort)

Aliza

Valpatal

The most common ovulating leopard gecko behavior is not eating. My leopard geckos display a range of behavior traits from quite active to very lazy. If the gecko doesn't seem to be losing weight (tail getting a lot smaller) and doesn't seem to be in pain (hunched look with back arched up) it probably makes sense to just keep offering food, use whatever non-stressful treatments you have available just in case that helps and watch for signs that things are getting worse (weight loss and obvious discomfort)

Aliza
Her tail is still nice and plump and she doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort. From some of what I read up on today combined with your feedback, perhaps Tandy’s not ill and simply ovulating. I will continue to offer her food and keep a close watch of her. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
At a certain point you've done what you can and you can provide the best life possible for her. If she's exhibiting normal behaviors (eating sleeping pooping moving drinking etc) then you can assume she's got at least some base line for quality of life.

Visit our friends