Opinions please.

leonut

I didn't know wether to post this in "breeding" or "ethics" so i just posted here.

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of breeders here are teens. I have a question for all of you. Would the fact that a breeder is a teen make you any less likely to buy from them?

THE WHISPERER

Not at all. Some of the teens on here know more than I do. For me when it comes to buying I look for quality and reputation. Some of the teens on here have defenatly built a rep for them selves, and if the gecko I'm interested in was of good quality then I wouldn't let their age stand in the way of a sale.:main_thumbsup:

Baoh

I didn't know wether to post this in "breeding" or "ethics" so i just posted here.

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of breeders here are teens. I have a question for all of you. Would the fact that a breeder is a teen make you any less likely to buy from them?

No. I would not practice ageism against the young any more than I would practice it against the old. I might want parental involvement for legal protection, however, as well as to make sure that the parents know what is going on in their kids' lives. If a teen takes good care of his or her leos and wants to sell something I have an interest in for a price I find acceptable, then I would not be against giving such a young person my business.

Their maturity should be encouraged instead of stunted.

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Me Too

While I am almost as old as the Mean Old Gecko Lady, I would not have a problem with buying something from a Teenager.

I have learned that 1) Being College Educated does not mean that you know everything, 2) Common Sense does not come from books, 3) Not Finishing High School or even going to College does not mean that you know nothing, 4) You have to learn something new every day, and 5) You can always learn something from someone else.

As an example, a few years ago I went to a Cub Scout Day Camp and was one of the leaders. I lead a group of 10 Boys from one activity to another. The Boys were age 10 and 11.

One of the activities was Archery. As an "Adult", being highly educated, having been a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, and knowing much more than a 10 year old ... I knew it all.

But, I am smart enough to know that I don't.

The activity was each day for about 50 minutes and is just used as a way to give the Boys something to do.

Well one of the Boys asked a question and as the Leader I told him what I thought was the answer. However, another Boy told me that I was wrong and that this is the way that it should be done. This other Boy had at least three years of Archery Training with his Aunt.

So if you know your stuff then, I would buy from you.

In defense of Ageism ... many people beleive that an older person has more experience than a younger person. And younger people tend to be less responsible.

While every person is different ... it only take eating a few bad eggs to make it seem that all of them must be rotten.

L

lizardlove

The kid can be ten, but if all his geckos are healthy, and he sounds like he's really gone out of his way to study morphology and reptile care, I'd buy from him. Of course you'd want to talk to this person for a little while to make sure they know what they're talking about, but you'd do that with anyone, ten or 50.

bubblez825

I, myself being a teen, would look for health and care of the leos. I'm planning on breeding someday, but until then, I would like to build my collection. There have been many teens that I have made friends with on here who breed(or are starting to)leos who really know their stuff and are responsible young adults. Nothing would stop me from buying from those young adults if the price of the gecko I wanted was reasonable and in my price range :D.

Now, this is more of a rant, but going along with the topic, I hate being discriminated against because of my age. I don't know how often adults blow me off because 1) I look a lot younger than I am & 2) I'm just a kid. Why should adults listen to us? BECAUSE we MIGHT just know MORE than THEM!!!! I get yelled at by my dad if he is having trouble on the computer and I know how to fix it. He doesn't let me. If I try to tell him anyways, I usually get sent to my room for being annoying and a smart-you-no-what in his words LOL(I don't really get in trouble tho, he isn't that mean haha)

Khrysty

I, myself being a teen, would look for health and care of the leos. I'm planning on breeding someday, but until then, I would like to build my collection. There have been many teens that I have made friends with on here who breed(or are starting to)leos who really know their stuff and are responsible young adults. Nothing would stop me from buying from those young adults if the price of the gecko I wanted was reasonable and in my price range :D.

Now, this is more of a rant, but going along with the topic, I hate being discriminated against because of my age. I don't know how often adults blow me off because 1) I look a lot younger than I am & 2) I'm just a kid. Why should adults listen to us? BECAUSE we MIGHT just know MORE than THEM!!!! I get yelled at by my dad if he is having trouble on the computer and I know how to fix it. He doesn't let me. If I try to tell him anyways, I usually get sent to my room for being annoying and a smart-you-no-what in his words LOL(I don't really get in trouble tho, he isn't that mean haha)

Ahh. yeah i know how that goes. Only thing I can tell you is that ageism doesn't necessarily go away.

I was just a kid. Then I was a "high school kid" now I'm a "college kid" and when I graduate, while the title "law student" is impressive to some, my age will still be a factor that implies a lack of experience (in any field, not just herping). Point is, sometimes your maturity/responsibility/knowledge/what have you needs to be proven multiple times before even one person is willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Speak softly, but know your stuff. And try not to sound like a smart-(you know what). Eventually people listen :)

L

leonewbie

Isn't Nigel like, 15 or 16...and he really knows his stuff, i would never hesitate buying something from him, but then again, i'm young too (22) so maybe i'm bias :)

Visit our friends