Orange Belly and Feet Super Snow?

Neo.Reptiliac

Ok so my young geckos I got around a month ago has started to throw me for a loop. First of all I had a Super Snow Albino get a paradox spot on her side and front left leg. Now I go to clean tonight and notice that Mittens, my Super Snow het Raptor female has under-gone a change almost over night. (that or so I didnt notice it till now cause I never just pick her up and flip her over to take a look at her stomach.)

Yeah dont adjust your screen what your seeing is right. And no its not dye either. Her cage bottom is lined in a black colored rubber mat for shelves (shelf linner in other words.), as is all the other geckos I own also have the same liner and none of them have this orange underbelly cause of it.

mittens2-009-1.jpg

And this is a photo of the same gecko I took about a week ago. So you can see she is indeed a super snow.

updates-001.jpg

Neo.Reptiliac

Do you have a shelter with any substrate?
I have a moist hide that I put inside when ever she or the others look like they are going to shed. Her and the others around her age are kept in shoe box sized containers cause they are just 4 months old. As they get older I switch them to a sweater box sized container. (usually around 5 months old ) which has a moist hide inside them at all times. The babies do have a regular hide though. (cheap but it does the trick) which is a white Styrofoam bowl, turned upside down, with a spot cut out the side for entry. Its removed and replaced with the moist hide when they start getting ready for shedding. Since a shoe box sized container is so small compared to a sweater box sized container I don't keep both in there at all times or else they wouldn't have any room to move around well.

The subtrate used for the moist hide is dampened peat moss. It's worked well for me for many years now. And wouldn't dye a gecko's underhalf.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Color Changes

Could she have possibly have gotten into
a bag of Chedder Cheetos?
(humor starts here)
I've heard jokes about cheetos staining other
places......not geckos though.
I had one get into my ice coffee.
Licked her lips....guess she enjoyed the sugar.
Take care. HJ

Neo.Reptiliac

Could she have possibly have gotten into
a bag of Chedder Cheetos?
(humor starts here)
I've heard jokes about cheetos staining other
places......not geckos though.
I had one get into my ice coffee.
Licked her lips....guess she enjoyed the sugar.
Take care. HJ
lol :p

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
That is odd, post a pic after a fresh shed. Will be interesting to see if it goes away or gets darker.

Jorgevill

R-MTY
Sometimes I see that due to the substrate on the moist hide (In this case Peat Moss) because of the water added to the moist hide it colors the belly of the gecko, I think is that, but after shedding we would know that for sure..

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
I have an enigma(well a alot of enigmas) that thrash there calcium all around the cage, after a while I was noticing orange "paradox" spots on them. After brain storming a bit I got an idea, I took a 2 liter lid put some calcium and mixed it up with some water then smeared it on a napkin............It turned orange after a few hours!!! This may be what your running into.

Neo.Reptiliac

That may very well be some options. I guess only time can tell. I will try that trick with the calcium to see if it makes any sort of orange coloration changes on a paper towel.
As for the questions asked. The temps in the floor of the container are normal. Around 85-90 usually (always seems to go up and down a little as the rheostat kicks on and off) so they always stay a nice cozy, comfortable temp. (My room I keep them in is also around 80F so air temp is nice and comfortable for them too.)
The peat moss may have very well turned her colors but wouldn't it do the same to at lease one of my other 10 geckos that I own also ? Besides I only leave her moist hide in the container when she is getting ready to shed and since she just shed like a week ago I took it out soon as I noticed her clean of old skin and put the regular hide back in its place. (I check them every day to make sure they are healthy and happy. Easy to do when you only have 10 geckos and are a stay at home mom.)

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I didn't read all the replies, so I'm sorry if this was already asked.

Do you use the Repashy Calcium Plus? My messier geckos get like that. They walk through their water and then their food and the calcium turns their undersides orange. It always comes off after they shed. I never had it happen with rep-cal.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Definitely appears to be getting stained by something. You could try replacing the floor and moist hide substrates with white paper towels and see what happens then.

Maybe I missed it but what are you using as your floor substrate?

Neo.Reptiliac

Definitely appears to be getting stained by something. You could try replacing the floor and moist hide substrates with white paper towels and see what happens then.

Maybe I missed it but what are you using as your floor substrate?
The material you see in the 2nd photo. Its a shelf liner thats made of a soft plastic material. Ive used it for some time and its black. It wouldn't stain her orange.

Visit our friends