Parthenogenisis?

missdragonxo

I have a female gargoyle who lays an egg atleast once a month. Would attempting an incubation be pointless?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would probably be pointless. I remember reading a news article about a lizard that is not usually parthenogenic actually producing a baby (I think it was a live-bearer). I have fantasized that maybe bearded dragons could be parthenogenic and have incubated some of my beardie's infertile eggs. No go.

ALiza

SnakeKeeper

Basically yes. With leachies and several species of agamid there have been a few cases of parthenogenesis in captivity, but not with gargoyles, and even if gargoyle parthenogenesis were possible (which I suppose it might be), the odds of it happening are extraordinarily slim.

I still think about it, though. I am always hesitant to throw away my gargoyle's infertile eggs.

JordanAng420

I don't think it would be pointless. The worst that could happen is that you have eggs that go bad that you have to throw out. The BEST that could happen, however (which is REALLY reaching, and quite a long shot) is that you end up discovering that parthenogenesis is possible in a species that hasn't been documented before. I say incubate 'em until they rot. :main_thumbsup:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I don't think it would be pointless. The worst that could happen is that you have eggs that go bad that you have to throw out. The BEST that could happen, however (which is REALLY reaching, and quite a long shot) is that you end up discovering that parthenogenesis is possible in a species that hasn't been documented before. I say incubate 'em until they rot. :main_thumbsup:

Agreed. It has been documented in a fairly close relative (R. leachieanus), we'll never find out if it is possible in other Rhacs unless someone tries to incubate their unfertilized eggs.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I'm with Maia and Tony, incubate that sucker. A long shot isn't an impossibility, it's just unlikely. Please let us know if you have any that hatch.

Magic Merlin

I have 1 setup of 4 female cresties that were separated from the group when they were around 12 grams and 1 of them has dropped several clutches of virgin eggs......trust me, if any of them hatch you will hear me talking about it. You have nothing to lose and a cool discovery to make.....incubate everything.

Just to clarify, I have had lots of virgin female groups throw eggs before a male was introduced but they were clearly infertile and the pair layed couple of days ago are better formed than some other that are getting ready to hatch.

If they are fertile and do hatch I will have them genetically tested to prove that they are clones of thier mother.

Visit our friends