Pedigrees?

Leilani

Hey guys,

So I am a fancy mouse breeder/enthusiast and in the small animal breeding community many of us use pedigrees to track lineage and we usually give out pedigrees when we sell animals. Anyway, I was wondering if reptile people do this? I haven't heard much about it in the reptile/leopard gecko world but it wouldn't be a bad idea right? I'm not planning on breeding any reptiles, but I am probably going to buy a leopard gecko as a pet from a breeder. Would the breeder give me a strange look if I asked about pedigrees? :main_laugh:

geckolabs

Usually gecko breeders at least keep track of lineage. Some people go above and beyond to track lineage back as far as possible, others only keep track of one generation back. Its information a breeder should be able to give you, and if they can't, its more indicative of their record keeping.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most leopard gecko breeders won't understand what you mean by "pedigree". They will probably think you're talking about some kind of breed standard and there really isn't one for leos. If you ask about lineage or genetics you should get a reasonable response from a decent breeder.

Aliza

Visit our friends