Picky Leopard Gecko

ThatDamnSteve

Hi, I'm new here so bear with me.

I got a leopard gecko about a week ago. It's about 3 months old and about 5-6 inches. When I first got him, he ate crickets normally and mealworms if I dropped it in front of him. However lately he just doesn't seem to have any interest in eating. I put crickets in his cage and I see my leopard gecko just ignore them. The crickets will even run across him and he'll just flinch away from it instead of just eating it. Sometimes, he'll see a cricket and then not just hunt after it. He also ignores mealworms I drop in front of him so I put them in a bowl and although I never see him eating them, there are always a few missing when I check hours later.

His hide on the warm side is 90-94 F, the tank is 10 gallons, I used a carpet substrate and he does drink water. I don't know what to do. Please help.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF!
It's hard to know what's going on. It could be that the gecko is just settling in, even though it did eat at the beginning. I often have even hatchlings that hatched in my home show very different patterns of eating. At worst, it has parasites from where it came from (where did it come from?). I would recommend at this point that you continue to offer, monitor whether or not it has droppings and if it's behavior changes radically or its tail starts to get a lot smaller, consider a vet visit.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I got my very first gecko from the same place years ago. It ate at first and then stopped eating. I took it to the vet who discovered that it was full of sand (I didn't know any better at the time) and likely had parasites as well. Many normal geckos have a certain amount of parasites in them and if they get stressed (the shipping and crowded housing of young geckos causes stress), the parasite load increased. If the gecko is truly not eating and visibly losing weight, it will need a vet visit (Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians | ARAV Membership).

Aliza

Visit our friends