Morfran

Originally I was told my Leo was a male hence naming him Ragnar. However after lots of research I learned more on how to sex a gecko and I believe I was misinformed and my Leo is in fact a girl. I would like someone to help confirm this for me. I do not have a bulge or prominent femoral pores like males should have and my Leo is 7 months old. 6C08E529-A62B-4CD7-BFC5-1D033C0D89CC.png D8C6A5D3-950C-4053-AD3C-539129028E5E.png A7224C10-5BE1-4A24-B751-9CA48A05B2C4.png BCB670FD-93CF-455D-898B-3E537689AA08.png

Morfran

Thank you thank you, I’ve had various other breeders look and everyone says female. I think it’s also female but I’ll keep a watch just in case somehow we are all wrong lol. My main concern was I plan to house a couple together and I obviously wouldn’t want to accidentally get two males. There is a juvenile on morph market that is catching my eye and it’s way to young to tell the sex so if I have a female then that makes me less worrisome for I currently don’t have space for multiple enclosures but I could have a large enough one for two or three max for that’s just the most I’d wanna put together even though I don’t really want to do that. I really just want a pair that could maybe even possibly mate just to give me a full intro to everything they have to hold before going into selective or line breeding.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Remember that if you do get another gecko you'll need a second enclosure for quarantining before putting them together.

Aliza

Morfran

Oh of course! I had planned to get the larger enclosure and getting my female settled before purchasing another which allows me time to clean and prep the 10g enclosure for a new arrival. One tip I will need with this process is how long should I quarantine the other Leo? I know this is to watch for parasites, infections, diseases, or anything that could cause harm to my current Leo (which I need to rename now I know she is a she open to suggestions) so with having to watch for so many different things and considering some things can just be hard to tell without long periods of time. I plan to only go through top rated breeders on Morph Market for when I plan to purchase another. There’s also a reptile show on the 28th in my area so I may go see what that scene is like and check out what they have there before buying online.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's good to quarantine for at least a month. It's also a good idea to get the gecko tested for crypto at the end of the quarantine. I say this because 4 years ago I got a gecko from a reputable breeder, quarantined her for a month (she was fine), put her in with a male and within a few months my entire colony was positive for crypto, and remains so.

Aliza

Visit our friends