gojiking

Hi! I've had my female leopard gecko for about 9 years now. She's always been happy and healthy, until now. For about a couple months her tail hasn't been able to gain weight at all. Her belly is not skinny, just her tail. I repeat, her body is rather fat, but her tail is abnormally skinny. She still has an appetite, and eats really well. Although, I'm just confused why her tail wont gain weight.

gojiking

Could you post a picture?

Aliza
Just a reminder, I've had her for nine years and she's lived a healthy, happy life. Her enclosure temps are well within range from a heat emitter, I don't use a light source, only what the sun provides through my bedroom window. She still eats (quite ravenously) and she is still active and not dehydrated. But for some reason for the past couple months, her tail hasn't been able to gain weight.

Attachments

• IMG-6508.JPG
    IMG-6508.JPG
    923 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-6509.JPG
    IMG-6509.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's very weird. I don't have a clue. Any chance she has eggs in her belly? I have a leachie that I thought was a male and 7 years after I got "him" , a few eggs were laid. Even after 9 years it could happen. Look for white ovals on either side of the abdomen.

Aliza

LokitheLeo

Just a reminder, I've had her for nine years and she's lived a healthy, happy life. Her enclosure temps are well within range from a heat emitter, I don't use a light source, only what the sun provides through my bedroom window. She still eats (quite ravenously) and she is still active and not dehydrated. But for some reason for the past couple months, her tail hasn't been able to gain weight.
Is she pooping normally? She looks bloated and that could be a sign of impaction or possibly she’s just making some eggs in there. I’ve personally never experienced this and I’m new to Leo’s but I’ve done extensive research on them. Has her belly been the same size for a long time?

gojiking

Is she pooping normally? She looks bloated and that could be a sign of impaction or possibly she’s just making some eggs in there. I’ve personally never experienced this and I’m new to Leo’s but I’ve done extensive research on them. Has her belly been the same size for a long time?
Yeah she's pooping normally, eating normally, no changes in behavior, just obviously bloated and a thinner tail. Yes, her bellies been this size maybe a couple weeks after her tail stopped gaining weight. I don't know if its her age because google says an avg. life span for leo's is 8-10 years and she's 9, but I don't know.

gojiking

That's very weird. I don't have a clue. Any chance she has eggs in her belly? I have a leachie that I thought was a male and 7 years after I got "him" , a few eggs were laid. Even after 9 years it could happen. Look for white ovals on either side of the abdomen.

Aliza
I'll take a look, thanks.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
I had an adult like this. Same exact symptoms. Every time I'd think he was lethargic or needed a vet he would eat and poop and be active as normal but just would NOT put weight on his tail. Tried dubia, crickets, wax worms, even small horn worms. He would eat, and poop, it all just would not fatten up his tail!

gojiking

Yeah it’s really weird... backwater reptiles say a female in captivity lives an average 8-10 years so idk if she’s just getting old or something. But so far she’s alright

Visit our friends