PLEASE HELP! Crested Gecko Tail Infection

Zayxzai

Hi,
I have two crested geckos, one with a tail and one with out. My one with a tail I was gradually helping get left over shed off everyday so one day when I went to take him out my other gecko bit his tail and left a fleshy tip. I had to separate them to avoid any more damage being done and I got in contact with JBs cresties who told me there wasn't much I could do but let it heal on its own. I'm not sure what to do though it looks bad now after a week I have no vet to take them to for such a emergency because I dont own a car. Please help me

20170428_081357.jpg 20170428_081357.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as the damage doesn't look as if it's spreading,the best policy really is to leave it alone. The gecko will likely lose its tail tip, and may possibly (but not necessarily)drop the whole tail. If the damage, or swelling or pus continues to run up the tail, you will have to take the gecko to a vet. A reptile vet would be best, but if you can find a non-exotics vet that's accessible by public transportation, they may be able to help you.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

That doesn't look infected or anything to me. I would make sure you spray your gecko just enough so that the tank dries out for a few hours a day to prevent an overly humid environment while its healing. If the tail tip starts oozing or looking fuzzy you may have to force the whole tail to drop. If it just looks kinda ragged and ugly I'd leave it alone and let it heal and stay that way like Aliza said. Best of luck with it!

Visit our friends