Please help, eating problems

Chimmy

Hello!
My leopard gecko has had trouble eating lately. He recently stopped brumating so I figured he'd be really hungry. Which he was, obviously, he was very interested and alert. The thing is, he's kinda blind. I don't think he can see anything at all with his right eye, the eye is completely black for some reason too?? The other one looks normal(light brown) and the pupil works fine but it looks cloudy?... so I have no idea how much he can see in total but he wobbles and bumps around all the time and doesn't see his food. He never LOOKS at the bug he just sort of swings his nose around in an attempt to find it and licks the air. It's really sad and frustrating to look at. Today he also had these weird jerks... It looked like he sneezed but I don't think that that's what it was, it happened several times. He stays pretty well hidden at all times so I have no idea how frequently that happens. I stood there with a roach for around 10 minutes, trying to help him find it but he kept circling around, going in to hides, bumping in to stuff and walking over the tongs. Then he just wobbled behind a hide and looked like he gave up :( he's around 6 years old, the problems with eating were happening before the brumation too. I've had him for 2 years, I think his sight has gotten worse. I don't really know what to do... It just makes me so sad when he walks away like that even though he's clearly interested in eating. Is he just getting too old? What should I do? Should I try force-feeding? He feels the safest in his enclosure and I don't want to stress him out. I'm sorry this is long but if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts please help. Thank you.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to know if he's blind or not. I have a number of geckos that I hand feed by holding them and pushing a feeder at the mouth. I don't consider this force feeding, more like "assisted feeding". You could always try that and see if it works.

Aliza

Visit our friends