Please help, I dont know what's wrong with my gecko

keeszy

I have a giant leopard gecko who is turning 3 this year. I went on a vacation for a week and left him with my brother. When I got back I noticed some kind of growth under his tail. He hasn't eaten anything in the 3 days I've been back. Can someone please tell me what this is? I can't afford a trip to the vet right now I don't know what to do. 20230225_001011.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I can't see it entirely, obviously, but it looks bloody. The bulges in the male gecko contain its penises (each is called a "hemipenis") and sometimes they end up coming out from inside the bulges. Then they get swollen and can't go back in. When this first happens, you can reduce the swelling by soaking the area in a substance that is designed to reduce swelling: sugar water (lots of sugar, not much water, so it's a paste), or karo syrup or (believe it or not) Preparation H. You can try this. The problem is, that after a certain amount of time with the hemipenis on the outside, it starts to get infected and it's too late to soak. Whether or not you can afford it, the gecko will need a vet visit in order to make sure it will survive. Sometimes it just happens, so your brother didn't necessarily do anything wrong to cause this.

Aliza

Visit our friends