Please help! Sick AFT Gecko

aftmama

I have an African Fat Tailed Gecko. He is one year old and has always been very healthy. He lives in a 10 gallon tank, with eco-bark as his substrate. He has always been a good eater, I have recently switched to feeding him larger crickets that he really loves and seems to have no problems eating. I have recently moved and have started going to anew pet shop to buy his food where they dust his crickets. His crickets have never been dusted before. He is very active, his eyes are clear and his tail is nice and fat. But today I noticed a white deposit on his snout. He shed yesterday so I originally thought it was just a bit of extra skin but it looks like more than that. After doing some research I discovered that this new pet store put way too much calcium on his crickets (they were almost totally white with powder) and I'm now really worried that my poor gecko (Manolo) has overdosed on Calcium. I'm so worried and I don't know what to do. Is there anything I can do to help Manolo?

photo(1).JPG

DrCarrotTail

I believe an overdose of calcium would take quite a while and would be a very rare occurrence. I am almost positive it could not occur from one or even a few feedings. If you've never dusted your feeders you may be seeing the opposite - that lack of calcium and vitamin supplementation is catching up with him after a year.

If you provide a bit more information by completing the sticky asked for in the health and medical issues section (definitely in the leopard gecko thread - copy and paste it here), folks might be able to give you better advice on what the cause of the issue may be.

Visit our friends