Poll: Are you breeding the enigma line into your top bloodlines?

Are you introducing the enigma bloodlines into your other leos morph lines?

• Total voters

tangerineman

LizardThing Geckos
I was curious if everyone is breeding enigmas into the best of what they have, or keeping lines separate. In other words, from this point forward are you no longer keeping say, your best mack snow line pure, but from now on it will be the mack snow enigma line...etc.

thanks for responding
Duane

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My enigma is still a bit too young and small to breed so I haven't responded yet, but I was wondering why it has to be one or the other? I imagine if I had a special line I might do the enigma cross one season, but not another so I would have my, for example, enigma by Mack snow line and my regular Mack snow line.

Aliza

tangerineman

LizardThing Geckos

well, first, thanks for your response. This is what I am wondering, except I am curious if people are into the enigma so much they are willing to replace 'other' projects with enigma x ____ crosses or not.

When I go to sites I am seeing enigma x tang, enigma x mack, enigma, x MSBB etc...

What I want to know is say you are doing a msbbenigma cross...
(mack snow blazing blizzard enigma cross)
....are you only producing mack snows and blazing blizzards as an OFFSHOOT of your MSBBEnigma project? or are you still breeding ms x bb also (for example)

------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing i'd like to gauge is how many geckos out there are 'offshoots' of enigma projects that weren't enigmas. One side effect of slective breeding is the geckos that you hatch from projects that weren't the 'goal' geckos, the other stuff that hatched from the project...

maybe i should have made this anonymous, i really didn't think it would matter too much...?

Baoh

With my Diablo Blanco and Ember projects, I don't feel the time investment is worth the visual difference.

I am using them to replace my RAPTORs with Enigma RAPTORs.

Eventually, I might replace my Super Snow RAPTOR project with Enigma Super Snow RAPTORs, but I want to get a better feel for that project first.

I'll leave my Giants and Super Giants non-Enigma for now, too.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm still not ready to address the poll yet, for reasons I described above, but now I can say a bit about what I'd do and why. I have 1 enigma female at this time and will try to keep it that way. Since I will always only have a small breeding stock by choice and by necessity, I think very carefully about my breeders so I can get the most combination variability with the fewest geckos. So, while I basically have stripes, snows, tangs and albinos, I also try for hypo snows, albino stripes, etc. To me, having an enigma (especially one that's 66% possible het tremper) ranks the same as having a tremper or a snow. It's another variable to try with my 3 breeding males. I'm not running any big projects where I'll really have a huge number of by-products. I actually have to be sure that I don't breed anything too expensive because I don't know if I'll be able to sell it and I welcome the non-snows (and future non-enigmas) because I always need "plain" geckos that I can sell for $25.

Aliza

BlackDiamondGeckos

With my Diablo Blanco and Ember projects, I don't feel the time investment is worth the visual difference.

I am using them to replace my RAPTORs with Enigma RAPTORs.

Eventually, I might replace my Super Snow RAPTOR project with Enigma Super Snow RAPTORs, but I want to get a better feel for that project first.

I'll leave my Giants and Super Giants non-Enigma for now, too.

I'm with Baoh. Not exactly the same projects, but same idea. A lot are getting revamped now, probably some later, and I'm sure some will stay. For my raptor project I now have a dreamsicle male. For other projects I have added enigma females, so that the whole project isn't enigma based. It pretty much depends on the project.

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
there is a reason i have mostly female enigmas. i can breed any of them in to any line i want because i only need the male from each line. but for the most part im only putting it into 2 lines

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Enigma genes are incorporated into many of my projects, but not to replace the non enigmas. I still focus on the non enigmas as well. I just love breeding Leos (and soon AFTs) in general, and I figure as long as the Enigma gene is there to be had why not utilize it?

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I plan on adding the enigma gene to many of my projects, but do not plan to replace the non-enigmas. My eclipse project is my biggest one. I plan on breeding Rafe to one enigma and 3 non-enigmas. I'm sure I'll holdback some enigmas and non-enigmas to work with. That way I can work with both.

SleepyDee

"Are you breeding the enigma line into your top bloodlines?"
nope ~ I don't have any enigma's nor do I plan on getting any in the near future either way my leo lines are staying as they are :main_thumbsup:

M

meatgecko

We have gone enigma mad this last few months. among our recent additions was a mack enigma, Hypo enigma and hypo albino enigma. If any of you follow me on twitter you will have seen my obsession with enigmas get worse and worse until I just *had* to buy some.

In my opinion you really have to see this morph in person to do it justice. All the colours etc that seem to turn up when enigma is involved are amazing!

tangerineman

LizardThing Geckos
interesting input

thanks for your wide range of responses, very interesting.

i have some very special line breeding and striped projects going on, so I have yet to change or ADD to my projects, but thank you everyone who responded so far.

Duane

J

jw-reptiles

hi,

i have now an bell enigma hatchling,this animal have amazing eye's.

i don't know this animal is a male or female.

i hope it is a male,but female is also very good.

i must wait till next season,and than look what it is,and than look what i'm going to cross with this animal.

i really don't know yet.

i have some other great animals,she maybe is will cross her with my BLIZZARD HET DB animals.
I really don't know what for hatchlings that cross will give,anyone know this??

paulnj

All I have to say is my tremper sunglow enigma het raptor throws far better animals than most non enigma males ;)

I have a BEE that is insane from Mike R and the eclipses from him are sweet!

I see no reason to own a male eclipse and a male BEE when the BEE do it all ;)

geckomaster

sorry, nothing against the enigma...they're really cool and I have no problem with the market absorbing them to the degree it has, but I personally won't touch them. There are some genetic traits that disturb me and we haven't seen how those will play out in the long run, so I'm staying enigma free. But, that is just my decision and it's nice seeing some of the beautiful morphs that have been created. Hopefully the quirks will be bred out and no new negative traits will surface.

Visit our friends