Possible future business card

bench

I was just fiddling in photoshop and came up with a possible idea for a possible business card front for next year. I was just wondering peoples opinion,also do you think its to flashy? Any impute will help also please fell free throw some constructive criticism my way.

business_card1_copy.jpg

Thanks

T

The Sunset Gang

When I look at the card, my eyes are drawn to the background instead of the name of the business or the gecko. I think that the card will catch tons of peoples attention, but it may take a while for people to realize that it is for geckos. Good Luck!

S

SteveB

Ditto what Greg said.... that is a pretty funky looking design, I like it a lot, but the text blends right in with the background.

liljenn

Maybe switching the pattern of the background to the gecko & then background in black. That would make your business name pop out better and make a cool looking gecko. Just my opinion!:)

moosassah

liljenn said:
Maybe switching the pattern of the background to the gecko & then background in black. That would make your business name pop out better and make a cool looking gecko. Just my opinion!:)

I bet that would really make it jump out. Give it a shot!

Select Gex

I would make the background pastel colored, then make the gecko one solid pastel color. The font needs to be a more contrasting color as it is hard to make out right now. A slight faded "white glow" around it could dull out the background and make it more eye catching too.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
The font itself is really hard to read too, Im all for funky fonts but that one took me a sec to figure it out and I had to look at upir user name to figure out it was bench (kinda looks like bengh).

THe rest, to me Matt at Select Gex is the expert so what he said lol

bleeding_sarcasm

Rockstar
It looks good! I like it!

liljenn said:

I like that idea, and I agree that the font blends into the background. Im not a huge fan of pastel colors tho.

bench said:
I will try it it may take me bit because i don't really know how to use photoshop.Thanks for your support

Its really easy once you know how to do it.
Move the background layer [double click it and turn it into a layer, if it is actualy designated as a background layer] to being above the gecko shape layer in the layers palate.

Right click the funky colored "background" layer, and select "create clipping mask" and then your "background" funky color layer will only show up inside the gecko shape. You can still move both of them around so only the best part of the layer is showing through the gecko shape.

Add a new layer below the gecko shape layer, and do a solid color fill [click the circle that is cut in half in the layers palete] and there you go! The text should be the top/first layer so that it is visable.

I did something similar a few days ago for a friend of mine trying to get her rodent breeding business stuff together. Only, I used letters [text that is rasterized] and a different picture and clipping mask for each layer :)

REPTILECAFE3copy.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions, I am by no means a "photoshop master" but I do have a couple tips and tricks up my sleeve ;)

Last edited:

bleeding_sarcasm

Rockstar
Thats the effect. it seems kindof.. too black? hahaha.

Maybe you should try using a font that is thicker/easier to read [impact for example] and then rasterizing it, copying the "background layer" and creating another clipping mask for the text, to tie in the colors and stuff. It might make the lettering too hard to read because of the geometric shapes and strong lines, but its fun to play with different ideas.

Adding a stroke, and spacing the letters [through the character palette] to the text layer can sometimes help a busy colored/patterned font look more readable. You can also try making the letters black [and if you are keeping it that basic, I would make them BIGGER, as well as one line across the top of the card instead of grouped in the corner like that. OR, if you are attached to having 2 lines, left align all the text], the background white, and add a stroke to the gecko shape to give it some definition between the white background and white in the pattern.

The cool thing about that idea, is that some places [like the printer I use] will do something called "selective UV" where the glossy/picture finish/coating is on only PARTS of the card [like the gecko shape, or shape and text] and the rest is matte. so you can use it to write stuff on.

Last edited:

Select Gex

dragonflyreptiles said:
The font itself is really hard to read too, Im all for funky fonts but that one took me a sec to figure it out and I had to look at upir user name to figure out it was bench (kinda looks like bengh).

THe rest, to me Matt at Select Gex is the expert so what he said lol

Haha, thanks Wendy. I agree, the font is a bit over the top but fits well at the same time.. hard to make out.

That looks good, Tamara! Eric, that looks good. I have never been a big fan of that font though, I do agree it may be a bit dark. Try a pastel color for a background. What about putting the text across the top?

Last edited:

bench

Ok, i have another two that i have out together from what i understand of your suggestion.

business_card_4_copy.jpg

business_card_2_copy.jpg

Any more suggestions to further my designs we be greatly appreciated and thanks again for everyone's help.

liljenn

bench said:
I did some quick tinkering and came up with this, is this something or along the lines of this that you had in mine?

business_card_3_copy.jpg

For the original above, I like it switched around & agree with Tamara - too black. Try another dark contrast (steel blue or deep purple). And the font in yellow or orange with a glow around it. That will "balance" it better by "grabbing" the bright color from the design inside the gecko.

#2 is cool too but like the font better in #1.

sushikam

~Louisiana Leos~
liljenn said:
I was thinking the same thing...that would look really cool and it would stand out very well...and I love that pattern!

EDIT: Ok, so I didn't realize that you had already done that :)...I think that it looks good with the gecko having the pattern, but I agree that there isn't enough color going on elsewhere, change the font size and color a bit maybe.

Visit our friends