Potential Hatchling Eye Issues?

KDesautels08

Hey Guys,

Recently I was cleaning out the tubs on my hatchling rack, and noticed that one of my geckos eyes were shut. A few days passed, and the same eye was still shut. I just checked on it again, and it is still shut. His/Her other eye seems to be fine, He/She is still eating/growing. He/she just will not open its eye. How can I help this hatchling?

Thanks

KDesautels08

Have you tried gently rubbing it with some warm water to see if there might be stuck shed?
I know Aliza wrote an article about hatchlings with problems, not sure if you have read it. Gecko Hatchlings with Problems Part 1 - Gecko Time - Gecko Time there's a bit in there about little ones with deformed eyelids, that may help with yours.

I haven't physically rubbed it, but I have sprayed it with warm water, as well as soaking him/her in warm water.. neither of which seems to be doing any good, seeing as how I cant get water on the actual inside of his/her eye.

Neon Aurora

When dealing with eyes, don't use tap water. Tap water is not sterile. Try a sterile saline solution to wash out the eye (you can get saline in the eye itself). If there is any shed in the eye itself, it will need to be washed out. Any pictures? If not, does it look swollen? Pussy?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Get a drop of sterile saline on your finger and touch the eyelid, so the drop transfers to the eye. This will often cause the gecko to open the eye. If you spray the eye, it will just shut tighter (imagine if someone sprayed your eye!). I hope that helps.

Aliza

KDesautels08

When dealing with eyes, don't use tap water. Tap water is not sterile. Try a sterile saline solution to wash out the eye (you can get saline in the eye itself). If there is any shed in the eye itself, it will need to be washed out. Any pictures? If not, does it look swollen? Pussy?

I am not sure if it is stuck shed.. The eye does not look any different than it usually does.. It is just closed.. I will upload a pic as soon as i can.

Neon Aurora

IMO, the saline wash is still a good ideas. It's hard to tell what's going on in the picture, but try the wash and see what happens.

Visit our friends