Potentially changing ENTIRE environment after 10 years?

tobie737373

My family got a leopard gecko from our neighbor about 10 years ago. They didn't care for it and were on drugs, so the terrarium wasn't set up properly. I was young at the time and didn't think about it, but now he's in my care so I checked what the proper environment should be. There's no humidity control and only a single enclosed hide that, under the sand, has a heating pad (which I don't know the specifications on). There is one other hide but it's meant for a fish tank and open on both sides. The water bowl is way too big because it used to be for our snake. If nothing else I'm getting a new water bowl.. So, obviously sand is a big no no and I've always felt bad when he eats it/gets it in his eyes which I now know is a huge health risk. What should I do? He's been living this way for over 10 years, and I don't want to stress him out by suddenly giving him a totally different environment. Will it be better for his health if I keep it the same, or should I risk the stress and give him a proper environment? He's pretty old and ever since I got him he's become very happy and active. He rarely hides and I think he's in good health and will live a few more years for sure. I don't want to do anything to change that! Please let me know what y'all think!!

Attachments

• 20220611_141925.jpg
    20220611_141925.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220611_141929.jpg
    20220611_141929.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Why don't you start out by removing the sand and replacing it with repti-carpet, newspaper, or, my favorite, ceramic tile. That way everything else will be familiar. I think he'll be fine. Once he's used to that, you can make some other changes.

Aliza

Visit our friends