Preparations for breeding

theWayden

What kind of pre-breeding measures need to be taken prior to breeding them? I know they're a lot pickier then leos when it comes to this. Also when should I expect them to be ready to breed? Late winter early spring?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As with any animal that's going to breed, they should both (all) be in top notch shape. Otherwise, just make sure there's a good lay box so the eggs don't get laid in the wrong place and dry up. Some people find that their fat tails breed in the fall and some in the spring/summer. I keep my fat tails together in breeding colonies year-round and for the past 4 years have gotten babies in the spring/summer. That said, one of my males has been rattling his tail at the females this past few weeks and one female (who didn't lay at all during the summer) may be gravid.

Aliza

theWayden

Ahh ok good to know, I noticed my male showed no interest in her last year so I was curious if I should cool them prior or maybe she just was not ovulating yet. Thanks for the reply!

SC Geckos

Ahh ok good to know, I noticed my male showed no interest in her last year so I was curious if I should cool them prior or maybe she just was not ovulating yet. Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure how old your geckos are but it could also be possible that one or both were not mature when you attempted to pair them last year. I would suggest checking out some threads with pictures of ovulations so you can make sure your female is ovulating before you introduce the male. This will take the guess work out of it.

theWayden

They are about 2 & 1/2 years old now. I think I just started pairing them too late in the season and missed her ovulation. I plan to pair them next month so things should go more smoothly this year.

Visit our friends