Problem During Shipping

goReptiles

I have never had any problems shipping.

Last night I shipped a gecko with a heat pack as the overnight lows were under 60F; they were about 53 or so. I was a little concerned about adding the heat pack, but when double checking basic standards, 45-70 is fine for a heat pack. Now, I wouldn't use one for 70, but 53 seemed a little low.

The gecko arrived DOA.

I'm not sure if it was the heat pack that overheated, or wrapping the heat pack in a blue paper towel instead of newspaper. That's the only thing I did different.

I'm very concerned and a little shook up, as I don't want this to happen again. I feel so bad.

snakegirl

Did you open the heat pack the night before or just open it right then as you where packing up the box?

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Oh, Whitney, I'm so sorry. We've had one DOA when the recipient wasn't home to receive them and and they sat in the truck all day, it does shake you to the core.

Honestly, I wouldn't use a heat pack even at 53. I would rather a gecko get cold and sleepy than too hot. Heat does a lot more damage than cold usually. It's sucks that the lessons you learn with shipping can be so severe.

robin

Oh, Whitney, I'm so sorry. We've had one DOA when the recipient wasn't home to receive them and and they sat in the truck all day, it does shake you to the core.

Honestly, I wouldn't use a heat pack even at 53. I would rather a gecko get cold and sleepy than too hot. Heat does a lot more damage than cold usually. It's sucks that the lessons you learn with shipping can be so severe.
i am sorry as well but i have to agree here with mel.

goReptiles

The heat pack was opened a few hours before packing up the box.

I debated on whether to use it, and checked online and most places said under 70 use one. I usually don't add them for 60 and above, but low-mid 50s confused me... :-(

What would you recommend for heat pack temperatures.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
If the low is below 45 at the hub and the highs are below 60 at the destination I would use one but temps higher than that I would think twice about it. Geckos don't need to be at what we would consider a comfortable temperature during shipping. It's easy to assume that since you would normally house them at 70-95 that those would be good temperatures to make the box but that can get you into trouble. I worry more about how the high at the destination plus a heat pack will affect the box temperature. I hope that makes sense.

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Remember that the box is not sitting outside in the coldest temps. They are in the trucks and in the hubs which is warmer than outside.

Melody's advise on the shipping is spot on and a good standard to go by.

got spots?

leo lover
In the wild doesn't the temperature at night get a good bit below 50? But yea I'd personally say heat is more deadly then cold. but you learned a lesson just don't forget it =[ I am sorry for your leo and bad experince. But really you can't blame it on yourself. things happen

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I'm so sorry. I shipped last night without a heat pack because the low was 55. I usually will use one if the low if below 50. It mostly depends on the temp where they're going.

Haroldo

First of all, sorry for your loss Whitney. I would like to get more details pertinent to the shipment though (like size of box and where it was going).

Visit our friends