Question about acquiring a new pet

urbano1787

I have had a Leopard gecko for about 5 years now have owned it since it was a baby and it has lived on its own. I was wondering if i were to get another baby would I be able to house them together or would they need a separate tank. I currently have a 20 gallon long. Any info would be helpful
Thanks in advanced

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you get a new gecko you can possibly eventually house it with your current gecko only if both your current gecko and the new one are females. If this is the case, I recommend this:
--keep the new gecko quarantined for at least a month. Ideally, have it tested for crypto when you get it and again at the end of the quarantine
--be sure to get an adult gecko, not a hatchling, or get a hatchling and don't introduce it until it's adult size
--introduce them after quarantine but watch them carefully and be prepared to separate them if it doesn't work

Aliza

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
I have had a Leopard gecko for about 5 years now have owned it since it was a baby and it has lived on its own. I was wondering if i were to get another baby would I be able to house them together or would they need a separate tank. I currently have a 20 gallon long. Any info would be helpful
Thanks in advanced
You can always try. But the best rule of thumb is to house everyone separately. There can be a whole bucket of issues, the most common being that an alpha is established. That makes it hard for the smaller to get any food, even if there is plenty.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that it can be a problem housing leopard geckos together and that it's important to have separate enclosures prepared just in case (which I do), however, I have been housing leopard gecko, gargs and crests in small groups of 2-4 for the last 17 years with rare problems.

Aliza

Visit our friends