Question for Golden Gate Geckos

Latlaw

A bit ago you posted this and now I'm wondering why you couldn't just plug both UTH's directly into the Herpstat instead of the extension cord? And since it regulates the temp by the temperature probe, why would they need to be started at the same time cold?

And do you lay the probe flat on your substrate? I had been kind of propping it up vertically but still touching the ground but I'd rather tape it flat on the carpet if that works. (Sorry so many questions--just want to get things right for the geckos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Yes. BUT!!! You must start the units you are heating up at exactly the same time. Make sure both tanks are cold (at roomtemperature), then run your thermostat into one of the units. Plug both tanks into one extension cord, and then plug the extension cord into the thermostat. This way, both tanks will be heating up and cooling at the same rate on one controller.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
OK. Let's say you have one tank with the probe on the heat and it's 98 degrees. You want the heat to be 90 degrees. The controller is going to control the heat at that temperature down for that tank. Now, Lets say the other tank is at 90 degrees. The controller will reduce the heat by 8 degrees in the other tank making it 82 degrees (which is too cold), because it is using the actual temperature of the other tank to control both temperatures.

The best way to control 2 tanks, racks, etc. on one single controller is to let the enclosures come down to room temperature:

- Let both tanks cool to room temperature.
- Plug both tank heaters into an extension cord or power strip.
- Attach the probe to the bottom of one of the tanks over where the heater is.
- Set your desired temperature on the controller.
- Plug the extension cord/power strip into the controller.
- Plug the controller into the electrical outlet to turn it on.

Now both heaters will heat up at the same rate, and when they reach the setpoint temperature, the controller will keep it there and the two tanks will not be out of sync with each other.

robin

if you use repticarpet i would put it on top. you want to know what the heat is on the animal not the glass and carpet below it.

Latlaw

OK. Let's say you have one tank with the probe on the heat and it's 98 degrees. You want the heat to be 90 degrees. The controller is going to control the heat at that temperature down for that tank. Now, Lets say the other tank is at 90 degrees. The controller will reduce the heat by 8 degrees in the other tank making it 82 degrees (which is too cold), because it is using the actual temperature of the other tank to control both temperatures.

The best way to control 2 tanks, racks, etc. on one single controller is to let the enclosures come down to room temperature:

- Let both tanks cool to room temperature.
- Plug both tank heaters into an extension cord or power strip.
- Attach the probe to the bottom of one of the tanks over where the heater is.
- Set your desired temperature on the controller.
- Plug the extension cord/power strip into the controller.
- Plug the controller into the electrical outlet to turn it on.

Now both heaters will heat up at the same rate, and when they reach the setpoint temperature, the controller will keep it there and the two tanks will not be out of sync with each other.

Got it! Makes sense to me now. Marcia, thank you so much for taking the time to lay this out for me. I really appreciate the expertise and immense help the gecko owners on this forum have given me--I'm a novice at this and these geckos are such amazing creatures that I want to give them the care they deserve.

robin

trust me there is no stupid question here. we all learned from someone or somewhere :)

Visit our friends