Question for vets (or butchers) - kinda gross

Shera

Since I know there are a few vets (or at least vets in training) on here I thought this would be a good place to ask. I found this in my fried chicken, is it pretty safe to say that it's a chicken brain? I tore it in half, that's why it's ripped.

25270_10150099155530355_638180354_11296493_5698699_n.jpg

25270_10150099155545355_638180354_11296494_6446898_n.jpg

25270_10150099155555355_638180354_11296495_7196245_n.jpg

Srt14292

Est; 1992
ergh, nice, looks like brain matter to me and that seems to be the brain stem, I would ask Maia if i were you, but thats not nice. LOL! i would want a refund atleast!

JordanAng420

LOL. I'm not sure why I find this funny. But i'm sitting here laughing hysterically. I'm sick, I know.

It COULD be brain. However, I find it hard to believe that one would go through the trouble to crack the skull of the chicken to cook it's brain. So my best guess would be either pancreas, liver or kidney.

Shera

LOL. I'm not sure why I find this funny. But i'm sitting here laughing hysterically. I'm sick, I know.

It COULD be brain. However, I find it hard to believe that one would go through the trouble to crack the skull of the chicken to cook it's brain. So my best guess would be either pancreas, liver or kidney.

Lol, it is a bit funny, but I wouldn't be laughing if I had eaten it *barf*. It was in a piece of back, maybe when it was separated they pulled on the cord and that portion was pulled out of the opening at the base of the skull? I looked online at some other organ meats of chicken and all were smooth, this has very obvious brain-like convolutions.

JordanAng420

Oh, it was on the backbone? Well, then I guess it may very well be brain, then. I guess someone wasn't paying attention one day. The fact that it's attached to the back is good enough for me to agree that it is, indeed, brain.

EEEW.

Shera

Yeah Maia it was near the back bone, like partially stuck under the spine, but I don't think it was attached anymore, because it came off easy. One side was covered in batter. I wasn't paying attention to it's exact location as I just thought I was pulling off a piece of meat, but then I saw the brain-like matter on the other side. Suffice it to say my appetite was ruined.

Is this thing the size of a chicken leg!? That totally looks like a brain! AAAHHH!! Haha :D

Lol, no it's like an inch long, I just took a close-up.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I guess you guys don't like sweetbreads. Actually, one of my favorite restaurant dishes when I'm in Israel is what translates as "mixed grill" which is a combination of chicken livers, gizzards, hearts and kidneys. Maybe I'm just weird.

Aliza

robin

in mexico some people refer to sweetbreads as an area further south LOL i would rather find a little brain than some umm testicles...

Shera

I was going to bring it to the store and see what they say, but I put it in the fridge on a plate and didn't think to cover it and it dried out, opps.

JordanAng420

Dont bring it to the store. They'll tell you something really stupid, like,

"UM. I DUNNO."

or even worse

"OH THAT'S WHERE THAT WENT!"

Just kidding. I've had a long day. The store will know nothing about anatomy. I'd say that's brain, if you're sure it was attached to the spine.

Visit our friends