Questions concerning a future leo

KoalaDawg

I think one day I will buy a leo. I've been doing days of research, however, I have several questions.
1. I want to buy a UVB light for the leo. I'm wondering if the UVB should strictly be at the warm/basking area or shining at all areas of the terrarium.
2. Is a heating pad at 1/3 of terrarium and a UVB light sufficient enough? Are there any more lighting/heating apparatus that are required?
3. Is it a dumb idea to only have the UVB light come on at dusk and dawn, (when they are most active), or should it remain on like the sun does during the day?
4. Is coconut fiber OK to use in a humid hide? Or would that be dangerous because of impaction? I plan to use slate as the main substrate.
5. Would sand be OK to use just to fill in the cracks of the slate? Or would that be dangerous as well?

JadedGeckos

so ive had my geckos for a while and ill answer your questions from what ive done and from what ive seen

1. i have just started to use UVB aswell and yea they are normally put on the same side as the heating mat/lamp wich will give the light a gradiant just like the heat.

2. it should be sofficient enough since you can use 1/3 heating mat without the uvb but just calcium D3 so it shouldnt be a problem, what i opted to use instead of a heating mat is the deep heat projector from arcadia. can make the gecko bask more so you can see them often but i have seen that it can be a pretty induvidual thing aswell that they dont like being out like that. mine are fine with it tho

3. No its ok to have it on at dusk and dawn if you like. aslong as you have other light inside to give them the day and night cycle. a few hours at dawn and dusk should be enough for them to get the D3 they need from the uvb.

4. im not too sure about coconut fiber. i myself use moss wich i feel is easier to clean but do more research on the coconut fiber so you are sure.

5. hmm good question. i would gues the cracks are only a few mm if even that, it should be fine since the gecko shouldnt go and lick in the cracks but who knows. if anything you can just get some of the dirt they sell on shelfs in the pet store and use that. you can even get that moist and pack it into the cracks. there are a few ways you can go around using sand. but if you want it for the look then i would say it should be fine the gecko should be interested in it or by mistake ingest too much since it just in the cracks.

thats my view on the things and how i do it. seems to work since the geckos are alive and lumbering about. =)

KoalaDawg

Thanks! I have decided to abandon the slate idea (finding a nice looking one around here was difficult). I think I will use eco earth instead.
Instead of buying a separate light, could I just leave the UVB on during the day to act as the light?
I'll probably use moss then if it's easier to clean.
Sounds good man! Thanks!!

JadedGeckos

yea you can leave it on over the day thats no problem since it would be like real life.

hope it all works out and cant wait to see the little thing when you get him/her

Visit our friends