Raw bottom lip?

IslaReina

My baby fat tail is the sweetest little thing, and when I took her out to get the shed off her toes today I noticed that she had a really raw/red bottom lip. Does anyone have any idea what this could be from? Could her skin be too dry when she is shedding? She absolutely HATES water and never uses her humid hide, when I put her in shallow warm water to soak her toes she tried to climb up the sides the entire time. It's really hard to tell when she's about to shed, she barely gets any cloudier.

Any other ideas or ways I could help her?

Thanks!
Laura

EverEvolvingExotics

I'm at a loss to why the lip would be red. Try to bring up the ambient humidity in the enclosure to help with shedding. What type of setup are you using?

IslaReina

I have her in a Sterilite tub with a heat mat underneath, I had eco earth substrate, but she was too shy to eat outside of her cage so I had to put the crickets in there and I was afraid of impaction. I always watch to make sure she eats all the crickets, she is a great eater! Now I have paper towel on the bottom, humid hide and dry hide on the warm side and a dry hide on the cool side. I also have a ramp up to two upstairs levels. One water bowl and a smaller water dish and a calcium dish. Temp is 89 on the warm side. Crickets are dusted with calcium. Did I miss anything?

EverEvolvingExotics

How much ventilation does your tub have? You may want to cover up some to allow for more humidity and less air exchange. If you have having stuck sheds your enclosure is too dry. I'd boost up the humidity by spraying and see if that helps.

IslaReina

The lid has mostly mesh in the center, but its 2/3 covered up with a paper towel and some markers (I live in a college dorm, I have to disguise my geckos well! ;) But I will try spraying it more often. I know they're supposed to me more of a humid species but she hates water so much! Could I put like some kind of vaseline to help or should I just leave it?

Visit our friends