Reptile carpet

MUD

We change out the reptile carpet weekly when we update the cage. I was wondering, since we change it weekly, could we use other materials besides reptile carpet?

I know there is no reason to change the geckos room weekly but she is happy (based on feeding and behavior) when we do. We generally have 4-5 hides, rocks, bridges, plants, and a hammock or 2.
I've been using Zilla reptile carpet but the moss in her moist hide sticks and it is hard to clean.

I was thinking about a softer bottom possibly made of a spongy material covered with fabric. is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I'd try it in 1 area and see what she thinks.

We have a heat mat under the tank so it would have to be compatible with heat.

TIA for any advice.

Herpin Man

Reptile carpet is a poor choice. If you don’t want to use a loose substrate, just use newspaper. It’s absorbent, and easy to keep the enclosure clean.

Reactions: MUD

MUD

We change out the reptile carpet weekly when we update the cage. I was wondering, since we change it weekly, could we use other materials besides reptile carpet?

I know there is no reason to change the geckos room weekly but she is happy (based on feeding and behavior) when we do. We generally have 4-5 hides, rocks, bridges, plants, and a hammock or 2.
I've been using Zilla reptile carpet but the moss in her moist hide sticks and it is hard to clean.

I was thinking about a softer bottom possibly made of a spongy material covered with fabric. is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I'd try it in 1 area and see what she thinks.

We have a heat mat under the tank so it would have to be compatible with heat.

TIA for any advice.
Now thinking about it - is reptile carpet just Felt with a backing on it to stiffen?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some geckos do fine with reptile carpet. Here are the disadvantages: sometimes a gecko can get its toenails caught in the fabric and on occasion, it can get a tooth caught when trying to catch dinner. The carpet needs to be cleaned and will eventually wear out. Some may also say that it can harbor bacteria.
I think it's tougher than felt.
If you want to keep using it, I'd recommend figuring out where it poops and putting a small tile there so the poop ends up on the tile and not the carpet. You can also get a second piece of carpet. When you clean, switch out the carpet and wash the one that you just removed.
Personally, I prefer ceramic tile. It's easy to clean, doesn't have to be removed to do the cleaning for the most part and conducts heat well. In the wild they live on hard surfaces, so they don't need anything soft. Fabric will just be hard to clean and more likely to harbor bacteria. If you're really in love with the idea of fabric, consider making one small fabric panel that covers a small part of the floor

Aliza

TinMar

Some geckos do fine with reptile carpet. Here are the disadvantages: sometimes a gecko can get its toenails caught in the fabric and on occasion, it can get a tooth caught when trying to catch dinner. The carpet needs to be cleaned and will eventually wear out. Some may also say that it can harbor bacteria.
I think it's tougher than felt.
If you want to keep using it, I'd recommend figuring out where it poops and putting a small tile there so the poop ends up on the tile and not the carpet. You can also get a second piece of carpet. When you clean, switch out the carpet and wash the one that you just removed.
Personally, I prefer ceramic tile. It's easy to clean, doesn't have to be removed to do the cleaning for the most part and conducts heat well. In the wild they live on hard surfaces, so they don't need anything soft. Fabric will just be hard to clean and more likely to harbor bacteria. If you're really in love with the idea of fabric, consider making one small fabric panel that covers a small part of the floor

Aliza
thanks for the info. I ordered a small piece of coconut flooring, I will also get a tile.

Visit our friends