Rescue Leo

LokitheLeo

Hello! I need help aging my new rescue leopard gecko. I named him Loki and I got him from a lady that said he was a Diablo Blanco. He is a male but I’m having trouble figuring out his age to know how often to feed him. I have hornworms and mealworms and he’s a fantastic eater but I don’t want to over feed him. He’s pretty small and with the horn worms I have to feed him the smallest ones I have. I would guess he’s about 5 inches long but I don’t want to handle him too much while he’s getting settled in! Also in the pictures he’s in the small or medium bark hide from PetSmart!

Attachments

• C24590E4-1B9E-45F3-A537-E5590B7CA8CC.jpeg
    C24590E4-1B9E-45F3-A537-E5590B7CA8CC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 23378BD0-67D0-463D-B128-7EE9CE4B0260.jpeg
    23378BD0-67D0-463D-B128-7EE9CE4B0260.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • ADE38161-AD2D-4F94-A727-F7B2CC8B1CFE.jpeg
    ADE38161-AD2D-4F94-A727-F7B2CC8B1CFE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • DE14F1CD-A4DF-4E02-ADD1-E43955019A9C.jpeg
    DE14F1CD-A4DF-4E02-ADD1-E43955019A9C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

LoveReps

I feed babies once a day, juveniles every other day, and adults 3 times a week. I cant say the exact age of your gecko, but to me it looks like a juvenile so once every other day should be fine.

Only feed hornworms as a treat (about 2 or 3 a week) because they are high in fat and your gecko could become addicted and refuse other nutritional foods.

LokitheLeo

Thank you! I assumed he was a juvenile because other Diablo Blanco Leo’s I’ve seen look a lot bigger than him. When I got him the previous owner only fed him crickets and no other supplements. They just dropped them all in with him and let him have at it, and then left them in with him. Poor boy. So could it be possible that he won’t get bigger because of the lack of nutrients? She’s claiming he’s about a year old but it just doesn’t seem right compared to his size. Here’s some more pics of him :)

Attachments

• 2841CCAC-AA6D-4305-BB26-0F6594DCC27B.jpeg
    2841CCAC-AA6D-4305-BB26-0F6594DCC27B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • A01AD5A1-2DAD-45A7-8346-1FF61ACAD051.jpeg
    A01AD5A1-2DAD-45A7-8346-1FF61ACAD051.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

LoveReps

Some Leo's grow faster than others so it is not uncommom to just have a slow growing gecko. He could also just be small. Crickets are okay as staple feeders so as long as he was being fed and supplemented good and he is healthy, I wouldn't worry. I have a year old male and he is about the size of yours but I weigh him each month and he is slowly getting bigger a few grams at a time! You could get a cheap kitchen scale and do the same to see if he's putting on some healthy weight.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He's definitely a blizzard (with a regenerated tail). I'm kind of doubting diablo blanco (they should have solid red eyes) but I'm not a diablo expert. The reptile-carpet is great; I'd worry about the bark in the first picture. The pieces are small enough to swallow and the trip through the digestive tract will not be fun for the gecko.

Aliza

LoveReps

He's definitely a blizzard (with a regenerated tail). I'm kind of doubting diablo blanco (they should have solid red eyes) but I'm not a diablo expert. The reptile-carpet is great; I'd worry about the bark in the first picture. The pieces are small enough to swallow and the trip through the digestive tract will not be fun for the gecko.

Aliza
I knew I wasn't seeing things.. The color threw me off.

LokitheLeo

Aliza
Yes I took him off of the bark. The previous owner had him on it for what looked like a long time with no regular cleanings or anything. That was a picture I took when I was in the car taking him home. He had only one hide and it was far too large for him and a water dish and that was all. He was freezing cold and I don’t think they provided him with any heat source at all. Now I have him on reptile carpet. Two smaller hides. One hot and one cold. A food and water dish. A thermostat with a Uth, and a hammock that I knew I didn’t need but he seems to love it. Today he actually walked on to my hand of his own accord after three days of socializing with him. So happy I picked him up...

LokitheLeo

I knew I wasn't seeing things.. The color threw me off.
I actually did some research and I also came up with the idea that he was a blizzard with snake eyes. His color threw me off as well because he wasn’t white so I believe that the owner probably forgot what morph he was and just googled something close to it.

LoveReps

I actually did some research and I also came up with the idea that he was a blizzard with snake eyes. His color threw me off as well because he wasn’t white so I believe that the owner probably forgot what morph he was and just googled something close to it.
Well no matter the morph it's still a nice looking gecko. I was convinced I had a blizzard for a while but judging by the looks of it she's more of a Murphy's Patternless to me. It's sometimes hard to tell those two apart as adults without test breeding but I'd rather her just be a mystery.

Visit our friends