Rescued Gecko - Advice Needed

EmiliaT33

Hi everyone! So long story short I usually rescue bearded dragon but my boyfriend over the weekend brought home this veteran sick looking leopard gecko who sadly didn’t make it. But I was able to rescue her sister who does look to be in better health. This being said though I have no idea what I’m doing and would love some advice. I’ve been looking up care sheets so I’ve gotten the gist of it but don’t want to mess up in any way. I’d love your advice and also quick question can I use a non-adhesive shelf liner as her substitute or would the heat pad burn through it? Also here is what I got with her and what should I do with her enclosure?

Attachments

• F277F3DD-BEA2-45BD-80E8-AF01B8927F3F.jpeg
    F277F3DD-BEA2-45BD-80E8-AF01B8927F3F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • E46A976D-0C05-4BC4-AF35-9E9843ADE992.jpeg
    E46A976D-0C05-4BC4-AF35-9E9843ADE992.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Bliss13

Non-adhesive shelf liner is fine to use. However the heat pad should be always regulated by a thermostat so nothing burns. The pad should not be in the tank but rather on outside on bottom of tank. I would have the heat pad at around 90 degrees and allow a thermal gradient in the enclosure so that cool side is in upper 70s.

EmiliaT33

Non-adhesive shelf liner is fine to use. However the heat pad should be always regulated by a thermostat so nothing burns. The pad should not be in the tank but rather on outside on bottom of tank. I would have the heat pad at around 90 degrees and allow a thermal gradient in the enclosure so that cool side is in upper 70s.
Thank you so much for helping I just got a thermostat and heat pad for her and it’ll be arriving tomorrow, she’s still getting some over head heat and I’ve been rewarming up a sock full of rice so she has something warm to lie on. For her nutrition I know they should have calcium but should it be with or without vitamin D and how often should I give it to her? She’s an adult gecko if that helps.

Bliss13

For an adult I would dust her food with Ca with vit D 2-3 times/week and then dust with a multivitamin once weekly (I use Reptivite). I usually keep Ca without D3 in the enclosure in a small bowl so my adults can like up whenever they fell the need to. My adults usually eat 3-4 times/week but every adult is different. If they are getting overweight then feed less such as twice weekly.

EmiliaT33

For an adult I would dust her food with Ca with vit D 2-3 times/week and then dust with a multivitamin once weekly (I use Reptivite). I usually keep Ca without D3 in the enclosure in a small bowl so my adults can like up whenever they fell the need to. My adults usually eat 3-4 times/week but every adult is different. If they are getting overweight then feed less such as twice weekly.
Thank you and also what’s the best what to feed her? I tried with a tong this morning with a cricket but she licked at it but wouldn’t eat it. Would it be because she’s getting used to her surroundings? Or should I just let a couple crickets loose in there for her to hunt?

Bliss13

She may not be hungry or may still be adjusting. You can leave a couple crickets in her tank for an hour or two but then I would remove them so they don't bother her. And then you can try again the next day. I prefer dubia roaches and mealworms but crickets are fine too. I would recommend giving a variety of different insects over time to help provide different nutrients and so she doesn't get bored of eating same thing.

Visit our friends