Rescued Gecko - Thoughts

eden

Hello, today I rescued a leopard gecko from a pet store. I did not have to pay for this little guy, because they weren't allowed to actually sell him. This is not my first leopard gecko or reptile, and I have had my eye on him for a while. Since nobody took him for a couple of months, I decided to.
The store told me that he has been to vets, but they didn't tell me what the vets came up with. All they said was that "they did all they could.". I am suspecting metabolic bone disease based off of what I'm seeing.
The employee told me that at first, this little guy was unable to move at all, but he's slowly gained back strength and can walk seemingly just fine now. He is missing a few toes because of stuck shed, has a couple of lumps on his limbs (mostly joint and feet areas, I think swollen feet?), and is incredibly skinny.

I will try my best to nurture him back to health, but I decided to come onto this forum for any thoughts and suggestions. I will treat it as MBD until I can get him into a vet to double check. He is very friendly. I will get more pictures of the bumps if needed, but you can see them in a few photos. 334600749_241846961512992_6832397263336986101_n_.jpg Screenshot_20230306-112036.png image_2023-03-06_152503589.png image_2023-03-06_152517834.png

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He looks to be in surprisingly good shape, though, as you know, skinny. I hope you'll be able to get the skin off the toes (use your fingernails). Ask the vet to check the gecko out for gout. Unfortunately it's a lot more serious in reptiles than in humans. If you have other geckos, keep him far away and also ask the vet to test for cryptosporidiosis.

Aliza

eden

He looks to be in surprisingly good shape, though, as you know, skinny. I hope you'll be able to get the skin off the toes (use your fingernails). Ask the vet to check the gecko out for gout. Unfortunately it's a lot more serious in reptiles than in humans. If you have other geckos, keep him far away and also ask the vet to test for cryptosporidiosis.

Aliza
Thank you so much for your comments! I have a shelf with four enclosures (Top is leopard gecko, second is a snake, third is this guy, and fourth is another snake). That should be separated enough, right?

And do you have any suggestions for getting him to eat? He seems really uninterested by the mealworms and crickets I currently have in there, however he has tried to hunt a few crickets and I managed to get him to eat a mealworm after a couple minutes of persistence.

Thank you so much again. Have a great day.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Make sure you care for him last. Wash your hands before and after you feed him, Make sure that if a cricket doesn't work out for him you don't put that cricket back in with the other crickets (so it doesn't end up being fed to the other leopard gecko). For feeding, try holding the gecko, if he'll let you, and pushing the feeder gently at his mouth. I have some leopard geckos that I always have to feed this way. If he still won't eat, you could try squishing a feeder and rubbing it on his mouth so he can lick up the guts (gross, I know).

Aliza

Visit our friends