Rhacodactylus Like Geckos?

Jheuloh

Lost in the Jello Bowl
For some time now, I've been searching for a gecko that resembles the rhacodactylus geckos in terms of lifestyle (arboreal), and habitat (rainforest), but have yet to find anything that was made for hotter environments. Does anyone here know of something that essentially fits the bill for what I'm looking for? The main reason I ask is because the environment I live in is prone to having power-cutting hurricanes come through during the summer time (when it's already 90+ F & 90% + humidity.)

I've also read about the heat-tolerance of gargoyle geckos & leachianus geckos; supposedly they will utilize 85 F heat sources when provided - would this mean that gargoyle geckos & Leachianus geckos tolerate heat better than their more popular relatives, or would a preference for basking not really be beneficial in the long run?

Edit: It may also help to describe what I'm looking for as either a "friendly miniature tokay gecko", or a "hot weather rhacodactylus" far as habitat, disposition, and heat-tolerance go. (To note as well; when I say "Friendly" I mean it can learn that being gently picked up does not equal death from above, not something so tame that it would be content to sleep on your shoulder while you roam about.)

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most of the geckos I know about that tolerate hotter, rainforest temperatures are not really happy to be handled. You could look at day geckos, though. The largest one is the Madagascar Giant Day Gecko which gets about as big as a Tokay. I think some of them don't mind a bit of handling, but not as much as a crested gecko. I don't know enough about the other Rhacodactylus to tell you.

Aliza

Jheuloh

Lost in the Jello Bowl
I should also probably clarify on what I'm looking for in its disposition; something that would tolerate being gently held & possibly petted, I'm not necessarily looking for something that I could carry around my home while it hangs out on my shoulder like you could with a leopard or crested gecko.

Edit: Don't day geckos have skin that tears even with the most gentle of strokes from the human?

Last edited:

Visit our friends