Rhodesian Ridgeback

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
We are interested in getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback within the next 3-4 months and have done a couple years of research, including speaking with several breeders through out the US. I was wondering if any members here had one. If so, can you tell us any pro's & con's you have had experienced with your RR.

We had previously kept Rottweilers, our last female had osteosarcoma and was euthanized 2 weeks ago (miss her dearly). Love the Rotties, but have always had an interest in the RRs, so hubby wants to get one for our next pet/family member.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Never owned one, but have been friends with several over the years, and years ago I was seeking to get one for a while. Two things have stuck out to me from that.

#1- I was surprised to find the breeders I talked to (about 3-4) all had some pretty ridiculous requirements for their pups. One of them was that ALL of them required the dogs be kept inside the house.

#2- For a lion hunting dog, the ones I've been around are surprisingly big wusses. I haven't seen one whose personality matches their looks yet.

All that being said, they are one of the best looking dog breeds out there. Not too many others can match their size/structure/color package, and NOBODY can beat the ridge!

They do seem to me to be one of those breeds whose original personality has been changed as they are kept as housedogs instead of lion killers. And I'm sure that's fine for most everybody. :)

If you do get one, please post pics? They're so beautiful...

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Thanks for info. They are an amazing breed and looking forward to getting one. The breeder we are going with in Chicago has been pretty cool and wasn't as demanding as all the other breeders...but he is pricier than the others, but well worth it. You can tell he really cares about his dogs and each time my husband talks with him on the phone they end up chatting for hours. about his dogs and the breed itself.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Rhodies are a very interesting breed of dog. They absolutely need a firm fair in control consistant leader. They are independant thinkers as most hunting dogs are, and will think on the fly and make bad decisions if we are not showing ourselves to be constantly in control. Socializing this dog is going to be major important. They will decide friend or foe despite our best efforts to pursuade them otherwise without this socialization. 100 dogs and 1000 people in his first year of life would be the bare minimum for a socializing schedule I would recommend for a dog of this caliber. You're lucky having owned rotties in the past (and my condolences btw. It's never easy to lose a friend), so that should help with some of the more "alpha" tendancies your dog may show. I would absolutely suggest a male over a female for many reason I can get into later if you want.

Also only something like 1 in rhodie pups are actually born with the ridge, and there is a disease that is particular to ridged breeds such as the rhodie or thai ridgeback called dermoid sinus (D.S.). It has been known by many names, a few of which are dermoid cyst, hair cyst, and African cyst. It is a sinus, in that it is tubelike and does drain, and dermoid because it is skinlike. It may or may not contain hair follicles or be lined with hair. As the hair sheds on the outer coat of the pup, so does the hair inside this tube. The body's natural response to dead material is to flush it out and thus the serum builds up and expels the debris. Not all of the dermoid sinuses are true tubes. Some are not hollow and the serum and debris cannot drain. In these cases an abscess forms and the resulting swelling that accompanies can rupture the skin. This can result in a painful situation for the pup. The D.S. is a congenital condition, meaning that it is present at birth. http://www.loveyourridgeback.com/ridgeback_health.html

Hypothyroidism and Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). are also common genetic defects so make sure you discuss this completely with your breeder and make sure he hasn't had any incident of these in the last 5 generations of pups. READ read read a lot on genetic defect as I think it tends to run higher in rhodies given the limited gene pool we have here in the states. Make sure your breeder has done all the proper genetic testing on all his breeding stock to rule out dysplasia, heart, ear and eye conditions. As much as you like the guy, remember he does this to hopefully make a profit and if the genetic testing hasn't been done, RUN honestly. He is not a reputable breeder if he has not done the proper genetic testing regardless of whatever he may tell you like "oh none of my dogs ever had dysplasia or hypothyroid". This is an investment like any other, do your homework. I have seen it too many times people take the word of a breeder they formed a great relationship with only to get a genetically sick pup in the end.

I wouldn't bring any pup home until after 10 weeks of age. So much is learned from their pack mates between 7-10 weeks of age such as bite inhibition, mouth control, manners, and finding their place in the pack. You really can't get a good feel for personality before this point again dispite what the breeder may tell you. Make sure they are working within the law as per your state for the legal age of placing pups http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysalelaws.htm A pups personality/temperament is set by 16 weeks old but until that time temperament and personality will change as the dog enters into the next stage of mental development.

Also they should inform you of the "puppy lemon law" if it is in your state. This is a consumer protection law designed to protect you from unscrouplous breeders selling genetically defective pups. You can find participating states and the law here: http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspetprotectionstatutes.htm this is the ultimate Cover your butt law dispite whatever guarantees the breeder may give you for health guarantee (which should be at minimum 2 year guarantee since you can't test for dysplasia until 1 yr to 18 mos in larger breed dogs). Insist on seeing a health certificate. This means the pups were actually seen by a vet since most breeders do their own shots. Beware of a breeder who's health guarantee is only enforceable if you follow their feeding protocol or use the suppliments they demand you use. This is an out for them and is unenforceable in a court of law and will not void your warranty. You can not include language in a contract that is unenforceable under the law. Dogs are considered propety and what you do with that dog after you buy is should not negate any warranty from the breeder (unless you're obviously putting your dog in harms way). Here is a copu of the Indiana state consolidated dog law just for your information: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusinst15_2_1_6_1.htm and also local dog law pertinant to the city of Indianapolis http://www.indyferal.org/Literature/Indpls_ord_ch_531.pdf Since your breeder is in Illinois he has to operate under both your states laws for after you obtain the pup and with in HIS states laws until then. And in Illinois it is illegal to place pups before the age of 8 weeks old.

Goodness I could go on for hours about what to do when buying a puppy, and I actually offer a program in my services repitoire for new puppy buyers on how to pick a reputable breeder and a good puppy. If there's anything else you need to know don't hesitate to PM me. We can talk about proper nutrition, when to neuter/spay and how it affects your dog behaviorally etc, what ever you need.

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Lab mix. I've read a lot about both, and she is the perfect mix :) However, she's 4, and we still have to watch her, b/c he eats all kinds of crap that isnt food:main_angry:! Like Nerf darts, money (she pooped a $10 bill once!) the kids gummy lizard toys, action figures, (she pooped one time and it actually had a head and 2 arms, lol:main_laugh: She cant wait until your done blowing your nose! She'll steal that snot rag the second you put it down, and gobbles it up so fast that you'd think it was a cream filled eclair, lol. She eats napkins, papertowels, I could just go on and on! That is the most annoying part about her, oh and she has selective hearing, and pulls to no end on the leash! We have one of those head harnesses for her, and it helps, but she's very strong. But overall she's a wonderful dog, I can always trust her around the kids, she totally loves them, and she has no food protective issues, she lets the cat sniff at her food, he sticks his head right in there, and she just backs up, and shes ALWAYS hungry, she'll eat until she pukes! She's got quite a personality, funny dog. We really do love her. Our neighbors have 2 pure rhodesian ridgebacks that come over to play with her, but they are both still young, like under 18 mos. I dont think their true personalities develop until they are around 2 or 3. She has definitly become a little more leary around a certain type of person, but overall, she'd Welcome a robber into the house, steal anything you want, just dont touch her pack ;). I think she'd be protective then. We tested her a little, my husband pretends he's hitting me, (she knows we are playing;)) but she growls, and puts her mouth around his wrist, and when he runs away, she actually really did bite him in the butt:p.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Poopin $10 dollar bills... I love a dog that pays out :p

Just an fyi sometimes dogs that eat a lot of wierd things esp paper products are trying to suppliment something their missing from their staple diet. What do you feed your dog Tara?

You're kinda on the right track with the "true personality" thing not being known until 2-3 yrs of age... the reason for that is the dog is going thru so many different stages of mental development until that point of reaching social maturity between 18-25 mos. the core temperament will be evident from day 1, and pretty much will not change with out serious mitigating environmental factors, but the "personality" will change, juvenile, adolescent, sexual maturity, social maturity all bring with it a new realm of responsibility in a pack. Just like us... we aren't the same happy fun loving kids we use to be. Some of us developed into crotchity old buggers but for humans it takes 18 years to reach social maturity.

Sorry just some unsolicited info...

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Poopin $10 dollar bills... I love a dog that pays out :p

Just an fyi sometimes dogs that eat a lot of wierd things esp paper products are trying to suppliment something their missing from their staple diet. What do you feed your dog Tara?

You're kinda on the right track with the "true personality" thing not being known until 2-3 yrs of age... the reason for that is the dog is going thru so many different stages of mental development until that point of reaching social maturity between 18-25 mos. the core temperament will be evident from day 1, and pretty much will not change with out serious mitigating environmental factors, but the "personality" will change, juvenile, adolescent, sexual maturity, social maturity all bring with it a new realm of responsibility in a pack. Just like us... we aren't the same happy fun loving kids we use to be. Some of us developed into crotchity old buggers but for humans it takes 18 years to reach social maturity.

Sorry just some unsolicited info...

I dont want to steal the thread or go off topic, so I'll PM you about the food :)

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Oh my! I have never had a dog eat money, toys or napkins....that is to funny. But, our Rotts use to de-fuzz tennis balls. Dogs in general have such personalities, I miss not having one around.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Dogs are awesome... they sucked me in 17 years ago and have only pulled me deeper since then :main_yes: :main_thumbsup:

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Now that I have an allergic kid, it'll be a long time before I have another pooch, but the last one was a TP hound. Note the below photograph, the guilty look on his face and the hard evidence hanging from his mouth...

pepito.jpg

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Beautiful dog Kevin. I understand the let allergies, I'm allergic to both cats and dogs. However, as long as the dogs don't lick my face I'm ok. Cats on the other hand, I have to really drug myself up on allergy rx and I still itch like no tomorrow. Going to the petstore to get reptile supplies is always interesting because they have a vet clinic inside. Atleast when the employees see me (gone there for years) they immediately open up a new checkout lane for me so I can make a quick exit...now that is customer service.

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Looks like we will be getting our new puppy next Sunday. Now the hard part, thinking up a good name for the little guy.

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
We're excited also and will take tons of photos of the little guy; and the parents also who are both National Champions. He's show quality, but we have no interest in that stressful world so he'll be a very loved family member who enjoys the outdoors like we do.

Visit our friends