Sad day........

RAZERWIREREPTILES

Hello all sadly i come here i hope of maybe finding out what might have happened..... Well a little back ground..... about 45 days ago i picked up my first pair of WC Fimbriautus a 1.1.0 group they were fresh off the boat maybe 1 week in the U.S. the dealer/breeder was medicating all his imports as he informs me he does with all WC to help head off a parasite bloom. they both looked very health to me and very active well i took them home set them up in a 40gal breeder sitting normally until i fashion a door to stand it on its end temp run about 72-78
i have a auto mister set up to spray 1 time an hour for about 10 sec not alot of water but enough to keep it wet they eat on crickets wont drink from a bowl only water droplets. fast forward now..... my female is doing 110% she is great my male shortly after i got him home started to get better from the dehydration and seem to be doing ok but about 1.5 weeks ago he just took a nose dive and went from looking hydrated and think to shrivled up and very thin and after getting him some meds because the thought was it might be some sort of infection "dealer/breeders" thought i came home and he had passed my biggest thing is if the female were in bad shape her self then i could deff come to the "I did something wrong" idea and be able to figure out how to keep it from happening again but this just rushed in with in 1.5 weeks and he died on me but the female is doing great so i had to be doing something right or they both would have gone downhill does this sound like anything anybody out there has heard of. Hope to get something help full from this that will ensure my female stays 110% so any advice i would be greatfull for.

Razerwirereptiles.

Ccrashca069

I am very sorry about your loss. I stay away from any wc animals. I did buy 1 wc reptile. It was a Maylasian Boxturtle. I didn't know untill about 2 weeks later she was wc. She developed a soft spot on her shell but when I found out she was wc I treated her and 4 years later she is still doing great.
Sometimes wc have some parisites or something and will just die for no reason. I wish you luck finding anouther male.

K

Kevin McRae

You know, my friend has had many fimbs. Females always do great but the males end up dieing.

Odd.

Gecko Ranch

John has a good point, WC is tricky enough, Uros are tricky on top of that. Unless you have plenty of success with Uro CBs, it is wise to stay away from the WCs.

I don't agree with the prophylactic medication of WC geckos...it often puts them into a bigger state of stress than they already are in from the big move from living in the wild.

N

NextWorldExotics

Hi,
I was selling and working with Uros since they started coming in the country... One of the fastest ways to kill them is to treat them for parisites. It stresses them out to much.
On a side note i never lost a single wc i kept personally... if you know how to pick them out (from the importers) and set them up in a stress free environment they do great!

Also, when i went to the importers to pick them up, i would always go the day they came in from madagascar. The longer they stay at an importers the worse they do... this is one of the reasons i think mine all did so well. A lot of dealers will go a few days later to a week after they arrive. The importers generally dont keep them the way they should (lack of knowledge)

Set them up in a low traffic area in your house for a while...

Im actually going to see a madagascar shipment next week and i cant wait since i havent gone in a few years...

Last edited by a moderator:

RAZERWIREREPTILES

Thanks for the replys all and i did not know about low trafic areas mine setup in the living room.... so that may have been the fault and tie it in with the meds ok well atleast this brings me 1 step closer to understanding what happened. does anyone know of a great caresheet or a place to look for info on fims because all i know is from what a few ppl have told me nothing to back up the info i have been given and they seem to be hard to find on the net thanks again for all the input everyone

Razerwire

Visit our friends