Safe to pick up crested gecko whilst sleeping!

Heckolove

Hi. So it’s been 2 weeks now and Geckster (crestie) will eat fruit of the end of a chop stick (just) but as soon as he’s grabbed it he runs off and then hides from me for another 24 hours (still terrified of me). I’m starting 5o think if I don’t start handling him I never will as the longer I leave him the more alien it will be. If I move my hand slowly toward him he’ll freak out and bump himself on a wall or on tHe roof which makes me jump (instinct). So..would it be easier to pick him up in the day whilst he’s asleep in his vibes? Would he be more docile then? Or would this traumatise him?
He’s 6 months old and his previous owner handled him fine.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts x

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Since it's hard to know exactly when a crested gecko is sleeping, I'd say give it a try. if he still has his tail, I do find that crested geckos drop them more easily than leopard geckos. Try to get him in a situation where you're making a little cave of your hand and he can sit ini there instead of holding him around the middle like he's prey,

Aliza

Heckolove

Thank you ☺️. I did take him out yesterday. I basically took the vines out he was curled up in and then he was so half asleep he just walked onto my hand after I unwrapped him. But he did then softly squeak for a couple of mins (hope it didn’t distress him) so I put him back and he’s been hiding ever since. Hope he’s not too traumatised now but at the same time he does just need to get used to me.

Visit our friends