Salt Dough Water Bowl

AlexT

Hello all,

I currently constructed a water bowl out of salt dough after following another write up and it came out great! My question is though, i'm not sure what form of sealant to use that would be non-porous, safe and waterproof. Being that it is salt, I don't want the salt to get into the water after time elapses, hence the need for a sealant. Has anyone tried anything like this before? I may just have to find a dish that fits my small space constraints, but i'd prefer to use the bowl I made, that is if I can put my mind at ease that it will not harm my leo.

I was wondering if maybe something like mod podge would work? It's what I use for my styrofoam hides, but being that this will be in direct contact with my leo (being that it's a water bowl) I want to be 100% is safe.

Thanks for any advice!!

Dinosaur!

Mod poge sounds good to me. I believe that they have waterproof outdoor varieties (or they did last time I was at Michaels) which would probably work well for you here. :)

AlexT

I first tried normal mod podge I had lying around, negative, as soon as water entered the mod podge turned white again and it was a mess. Trial two: I used a clear waterproof sealant, some off brand some the local craft store- negative.

Finally I found somewhere to use aquarium sealant and rub it all over your creation - success...it does not feel that pretty but heck, it keeps it water proofs and still looks as I intended. SCORE!

Visit our friends