SAND FUN!

DAWNoftheLEO

Recently I've had the pleasure of vending for my first time this past weekend.

I sold a wonderful reverse stripe tremper het eclipse to a wonderful mother and her daughter. Now this was there first time keeping a reptile. We chatted about care etc, and she said she'd be back (she needed to go get supplies) and gave me a deposit.

A couple of hours later, she stops by with her supplies to see if they are acceptable. The first vendor ******* gave her sani chips with her tank, the next vendor **** that she got the heat pad from, insisted that the chips are very very dangerous, and the safest bet, definitely was to use the bone-aid(calcium sand)! I was of course very concerned, seeing as it is one of my animals, and I DO want my animals to be healthy and thrive happily! We immediately told her we could not recommend that product in any way, of course she asked why, and I did feel it was my job as a breeder to explain. I did.

The lady was very very hurt that someone would push one unsafe item on her in place of another possible dangerous item. I told her I personally use paper towels, safer, easier to clean, and will keep your gecko vibrant with no impaction possibilty.

I'm guessing she went back to the vendor who she was wooed by and demanded a refund. Because, I get a vendor coming at my booth in front of customers and people passing by, causing a scene, giving much attitude and being loud about why the product is safe. And questioning what is my reasoning for not recommending their product. lol, I am a very opinionated person and I love to hold my ground. So, of course, I go on and let my beliefs flow...

Shape of sand, what it can do, what it has done in the past, and why geckos would eat it, crystallization etc.. ANd this IS the general consensus of "us" leopard keepers and breeders.

Is it wrong of me to not recommend something that can be potentially lethal to an animal that is coming from my stock???

Would it be wrong to void a health guarantee if sand is used?

And would it be wrong to tell the vendor off again if this issue arises? (I'm not even sure it was telling off as opposed to letting someone know, I am educated and firm on my beliefs.)

I found it very disrespectful, we didn't tell the lady what to do or to go get a refund. That was her prerogative and ours to keep the animals and buyers happy.

It's not just the bone-aid I spoke on, it was in general all sands. I recommend paper-towels, seeing as I don't work for a papertowel company and we have no gain in this matter, she trusted us more than the sand folk.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I don't recommend sand to my customers. I *always* recommend paper towels, newspaper, or repti-carpet, as the leos can't ingest them and become impacted. I have no problems telling people why I recommend what I do.

I think it's interesting that another vendor would come over to chastise you for not recommending their product. Since you're asking, I'm not sure I would "tell the other vendor off", but I would be firm in stating what I believe and why I believe that. Yes, some people keep their geckos on sand and "never have problems." Unfortunately, it's a gamble that I personally refuse to take or promote. I inform people of the risks of sand. Ultimately, they're going to do whatever they want - I can just give them the most information possible to help them make the most informed choices. I find that most people (if not all) want to do what is best for their geckos.

In my TOS, I retain the right to refuse guarantees due to improper care or husbandry, and geckos kept on sand certainly qualify. I think it is *certainly* in your right to do the same. :main_yes:

BTW, nice meeting you this weekend!! ;)

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Setting aside the fact that the argument was in front of a room of people which is never appropriate but sometimes incredibly difficult to avoid in the given situation....

I think you did the right thing in informing the new owner (and sand seller) of proper husbandry and explaining why you believe paper towels are better from experience. I've told plenty of people how I take care of my geckos and that I can't guarantee what will happen if they choose to care for them a different way or even refused sales to homes that I didn't feel were right.

One of the questions I get a lot is, "will these 2 get along in a big tank?". I always tell people that I believe that geckos thrive when housed individually although some people have geckos that can be housed together but that I can't ever guarantee that they'll be able to live together since we house everything singly.

If you happen to vend another show with that supply vendor you might talk to whoever is in charge of the show about your concern that he might try to confront you and make them aware of the situation. Print out some care sheets so you can show that it really is what you recommend and not just because you're out to kill the other guy's business.

DAWNoftheLEO

I appreciate all the info guys n gals and will apply them to any future ventures!:)

It was a neat little experience lol.. ( the lady called to thank me again this morning)

It was very very nice to meet you Debbie, it was wonderful to be a part of some very very intellectual conversations with you, Nancy and Jessica Rabbit (MOGL). Congrats again on the babies, ladies !! (snakes):D

Marcia, I was tempted to, she came at us fierce with a "who done it" attitude, I am very suprised Nigel kept quiet. I'm just glad, I didn't raise my voice and get all crazy, lol. It turned out okay in the end, I suppose, they will be at every show.

Live, learn and apply with an open mind.

Thanks again all!!!!!:main_thumbsup:

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I'm so glad she called you Juan. That is the rewarding part of this hobby - there will always be folks like "those vendors", and by keeping a cool head like you did, you come across as the appropriate one - not them. People will figure it out, and like I said, everyone I've met really seems to want to do the best for their pets, if they're given correct info. :main_yes:

Kudos to you for a job well done!!

(and the new kids are doing well - I'll tell them you said hi. :main_laugh: ) Thanks for remembering them. :D It was awesome chatting with you as well - let's do it again next year, eh? ;)

Debbie - the new BP addict!! LOL.

S

SteveB

I love shows, they never cease to be entertaining. Nothing like a bit of controversy where you come out smelling like roses, to do wonders for your business, either... in your particular target market, you've got nothing to gain from playing nice with shady vendors other than to be careful that you cover yourself so that you will be welcome at future shows...

Visit our friends