Sasha

jemjdragon

So a few of you may have heard of the gas-y, flea infested, and skinny kitten my roommate brought home and then later gave to me.
Well she now has a belly. Shes not fat, but shes not skinny. She also has no more fleas. And best of all she isn't gas-y anymore. Apparently my roommate was feeding her adult cat food. That was the problem. Anyways she gets kitten food now, like she is supposed to. In the next week or so she will be getting fixed. I have to wait till someone can come down and give me a ride to the vet hospital at school.
She is such a good kitty too. She only uses the scratching post I gave her. She never has potty accidents. She is playful yet she loves to cuddle too.
One problem I have is she freaks out when you cut her nails. Can anyone give me advice on how to get her to be calm during this? I am assuming I will have to maybe clip one nail and give her a treat. Then later do another nail and give a treat. And keep doing that until she seeing nail clipping as a positive thing.
Also I am going to attempt to harness train her. I read a lot of how to do it online but I would love any advice on this too.
Anyways here are some photos. =]
PICT0117_zps699c9197.jpg

PICT0116_zps3c411802.jpg

PICT0115_zps0716fc23.jpg

PICT0114_zpsd79c7780.jpg

PICT0112_zps984722ec.jpg

PICT0111_zpsae9d6a9c.jpg

PICT0109_zps20c0be13.jpg

DrCarrotTail

Cute Kitten!

I trained my cat to let me cut her nails in the way you describe (nail - treat, nail, treat, etc.) I had my roommate hold her the first few times but kept it to one nail per day for a week or two and then went to two, three, etc. She now goes NUTS when she sees the nail clipper. Drools all over me and won't let me cut my own nails...haha

Good luck with her!

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I just scruff my cats.
They'll hang immobile and you can clip their nails. I have no time to give a treat after each nail, thats ridiculous lol.
I clip their nails every 2 weeks and now theyre used to it.

DrCarrotTail

Haha I would agree that scruffing would be easier but I live alone and have no one to help so its not an option for me. Plus, I have only one lazy old cat so time isn't an issue. My roommate held her in the beginning for the single claw/treat regimen (there is an aspect to it that the cat needs to know it can't escape the nail cutting)- but it only took me a month or so to get her used to it and she's let me do all four paws with or without cookies for the last 13 years :) It may depend on the cat too - other cats I've lived with in the past would have eaten me if I touched their feet without scruffing them first.

jemjdragon

I have tried scruffing, but she still wiggles and I don't want to cut her quick. I think my old roommate may have traumatized her or something with nail clipping because when she first brought Sasha home, I clipped her nails and she was calm. That was the only time I have clipped her nails until my roommate gave her to me. Her old puppy also would freak out when she clipped its nails.

Edit:
So Sasha is apparently in heat. I was going to schedule her spaying to happen in about 2 weeks, next week was supposed to be her vet check up and what not. If she is in heat, can she still be spayed? Or do I now have to wait longer? I was not expecting this since she is only about 4-5 months old. Though I should have known better since I did know cats can have kittens at 6 months old. Is there anything I should do to help her while she is in heat? I feel bad that she is in a "I love everyone and everything" mode.

Last edited:

Visit our friends