Scavenging Snakes?

Dimidiata

I was curious if Snakes, particularly colubrids were know to scavenge on carion? I know we feed them dead animals in captivity but since we normally warm them up and "dance" them I don't think it truly counts as the snake actually choosing to eat a dead animal. One of the reasons i ask is because with my King I was feeding her a F/T mouse and giving it a good shake but i ended up dropping it. For her i don't normally heat the mouse up too much so it probably wasn't at mouse temperature. However, I watched her for a few minutes and she started sniffing around the mouse, pulled back for a second and then picked it up and ate it. She didn't strike or coil. Just bite down and tossed her head back to work it down. She wasn't starving that i know of, she has been on a regular feeding schedule. So it crossed me as odd that she might have deducted that this mouse was already dead and thus she has no reason to strike or coil it, but she ate it anyways.

Jlassiter

Wild kings have been known to eat DOR (dead on road) frogs, lizards, other snakes and mice.

I found a hognose once trying to peel a flattened toad off the pavement.....

But....I place all my frozen/thawed rodents in my snake's enclosures and they sniff them out and eat them without constricting.
That is normal.

Visit our friends