Senior gecko shedding

astoppani

Hey there, we have a 15 year old leopard gecko who has had two recent "bad sheds". The first one was about 6 months ago, and I was able to resolve it after checking for tips here and other places, soaking him in 92 degree water every day for a few days, and using Shed-Eaze in the water. But this time that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, and he actually went on to try to shed a 2nd time while I've been dealing with this! It's very dry here right now, so I bought a humidity gauge and humidifer which I run for a few minutes a couple of times a day. The humidity sits at about 32, then I bring it way up, but within a few mins of turning the humidifier off, it drops back down. He does have a moist hide which is closer to the warm end of his tank than the cold end, and he does spend a lot of time in it. But the shed is really stuck all over him, and I'm wondering if this is age related or something else. We've had him the entire 15 years, so this is new. He is eating fine, weight is good - if anything a bit heavy - and his energy level seems fine.

Any other thoughts on how to help him get through this shed? Is this common in these older guys?

Thanks!

Andrea

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have a lot of geckos. The oldest is nearly 18. Some shed without problems all the time, some have problems some of the time and others always need help. When I see a gecko starting to shed I leave it alone for the first day. If by the next day there is still stuck shed (this can range from a bit on the toes to nearly the entire body) I "peel" the shed off the gecko. I spray the area I need to work on and then use my fingernails. I don't know why this gecko is having a problem, but quickly assisting it will avoid prolonged shedding periods.

Aliza

astoppani

I have a lot of geckos. The oldest is nearly 18. Some shed without problems all the time, some have problems some of the time and others always need help. When I see a gecko starting to shed I leave it alone for the first day. If by the next day there is still stuck shed (this can range from a bit on the toes to nearly the entire body) I "peel" the shed off the gecko. I spray the area I need to work on and then use my fingernails. I don't know why this gecko is having a problem, but quickly assisting it will avoid prolonged shedding periods.

Aliza
Thank you so much for your feedback. I've been using a moistened q-tip to help remove the shed, but spraying the area, then working on it with my nails makes sense. It's his whole body for the most part. His tail is pretty shed out, and there's no ring at the base, so I'm not worried too much about his tail circulation. His undercarriage where the bath hits is pretty shed out, but his entire topline is a mess. I did a sauna box this morning, then worked on him some more, but I'm nervous about how aggressive to get with pulling on the shed. I think your idea of spraying the area and keeping it really moist will help as I work on him. I'm giving him a rest since he finds this all a bit stressful, and I'll try again later today.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Good luck! Fingernails are the best bet. I hold the gecko at my waist level and put my shirttail over its head so it thinks it's hiding.

Aliza

Visit our friends