Setting up for the leo

Jvarley123

Hi everyone.
I'm getting a leopard gecko in the next week of so and am setting up the viv now so I have time to get the temps right but having trouble with the cold side. The temp on the hot side is at 89F with a heat mat which from what I've read is okay but the cold side seems to be sitting between 65-70F from what I've read it needs to be mid 70's but not sure what I need to do to get that side warmer. The viv is 57cm x 37cm x 42cm.
Thank you in advance for any advise, just want to make sure I'm going to have the best environment possible for the gecko

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion, 65-70 is fine. If it's too cold for the gecko, it will stay on the hot side. Pretty soon it will be summer and it will be much warmer on the hot side (unless you have really cold AC) and then you'll find the gecko spending more time on the cold side.

Aliza

alphakenc

Yes dial in with the heat mat...also depending on ur room temperature(adjust the AC OR central air system if ur location has equipped)...plz adjust accordingly...u dont want to fried ur precious babies..plz keep us posted when u get your gecko...lots pics will be much more appreciated..good luck:)

Jvarley123

Bought a thermostat and heat lamp ( 10% light 90% heat) set it up for the hot end but it's taken the hill out of the air so the cold side sits just above 70F, going to pick the little guy up this morning will keep an eye on him and change temps if I need to, will send lots of pics of him

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Make sure the air temperature doesn't get too hot. Sometimes the heat lamps can dry things out to the point where the gecko gets dehydrated. Using an under tank heater is recommended instead of a heat lamp, but try things out and see how it goes.

Aliza

Visit our friends