shopping list for feeders?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean: which you should get, how many, what will the feeders need to be good nutrition themselves, what other feeders you could get?

Aliza

Eeviethegecko

All of those questions. I’m only getting one and I want to give it a variety of food, but having that many feeders is a lot

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I recommend you start with the most common feeders: mealworms, crickets, super worms, dubia roaches. Pick 2 and see which your gecko likes. Then you can alternate between the 2 feeders and provide some of the other choices, as well as the less common (and sometimes more expensive) ones as a monthly treat (hornworms, silkworms, butterworms). I find that many of the geckos I produced were fine with mealworms as juveniles but got bored with them as adults but that may not necessarily be the case with every leopard gecko.

Aliza

Eeviethegecko

Hi, I know Dubia Roaches don't need bedding, but what can I use for mealworms? I've seen some people use wood shaving that are usually advertised for rodents, would that be suitable?
Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Mealworms are usually sold in bran. Although some feeders can digest cellulose, it's better to use powdered grain because they need to be well fed in order to be nutritious for the geckos. I get my gut load from pro reptiles.com in 20 pound batches (I go through a lot of crickets and used the same stuff for my mealworms when I had them), but you can get smaller amounts. Some people use commercial chicken feed and others get a bunch of different grains and grind them up in the blender. You can also add vegetable parings (broccoli stalks, etc) for them to eat. The other problem with wood shavings is that it gets hard to pick the mealworms out of them. With the powdered grain, you get a strainer and just strain them out.

Aliza

Visit our friends